Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
allencp

Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Post by allencp »

I submitted feedback through the Church website; however, I felt I might post the same here.

I am trying to sync my Church calendar to my Google Calendar. I go through the process to create a link (as seen in the online documentation). Since setting this up, the calendar is not syncing to Google. In troubleshooting this, I found something interesting.

The link provided is like the following:

Code: Select all

https://www.lds.org/church-calendar/services/lucrs/ical/group/xxxxxx
If you were to put this link into a browser, it is redirected to:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist/church-calendar/services/lucrs/ical/group/xxxxxx
The problem lies with the redirect: it is missing the .org from the domain name. I have attempted to manually add the .org, but it keeps redirecting to the link above with the missing suffix.

I am hoping someone from CHQ will see this and hopefully help fix it. Thanks.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Broken Calendar URL with change of Church Domain Name

Post by scgallafent »

I poked the team lead responsible for that application.
allencp

Post by allencp »

scgallafent wrote:I poked the team lead responsible for that application.
Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Long-term, I think the better plan is to use the updated URL, except the application is still generating "lds.org" links.

Edit: Ugh, I see the problem. lds.org goes to churchofjesuschrist.org, but that goes to just churchofjesuschrist where it dies. URLs are unusable at this point no matter what you do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allencp

Post by allencp »

russellhltn wrote:Edit: Ugh, I see the problem. lds.org goes to churchofjesuschrist.org, but that goes to just churchofjesuschrist where it dies. URLs are unusable at this point no matter what you do.
Exactly.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

In my case, the URL is redirecting with .org intact, but the sync still doesn't work. I decided to look for a workaround so I pinged lds.org and churchofjesuschrist.org and discovered they resolve to different IP addresses. I inserted the IP address that resolved for lds.org in place of the domain, and as long as I use http, it appears to be working.

Example

http://216.49.176.33/church-calendar/services/lucrs/ical/group/xxxxxx
Does this work for any of you?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

When I try it in my browser, I get "www.churchofjesuschrist.org redirected you too many times. Try clearing your cookies. ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS"

Yes, this is after using http and the IP address.

I tried putting it Google calendar. It accepted it, but I don't see any events. But I might have run into the throttle.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

russellhltn wrote:I tried putting it Google calendar. It accepted it, but I don't see any events. But I might have run into the throttle.
I was able to get this to work on Mac Calendar and my iPhone, but after saving the settings, it took 15-30 minutes before anything showed up. So give it some time and see if things show up.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Google only syncs about once a day at a time of it's choosing, so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

nswansen

Post by nswansen »

This issue looks to be a problem with the SSL cert, hence the calendar is accessible via HTTP and the IP (good pickup bfromm!)
When I inspected the certificate that was coming through (churchofjesuschrist.org) it was still trying to sign *.lds.org
Hope this helps.

Return to “Calendar”