Calendar 3.0 released

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Post by russellhltn »

The problem is, if they're not scheduling a major event, they could arrive to find someone else has scheduled the building. Failing to schedule any event that has a significant size or amount of pre-planning is an open invite to conflict and contention. I can understand that some find it challenging to work the calendar, but they need to work with someone to make sure it's done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

Displaying setup and cleanup times on the week view is on our future feature list. Hopefully by next week they will again be seen on the read/only details view of an event. We plan to have a release with many fixes next week. We hope to have LDS Tools have an option to display building calendars in the future. Yes, to learn the calendar, please try reading through the new help articles, they seem to be helping.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

“Hopefully by next week they will again be seen on the read/only details view of an event. ”

I hope I am misunderstanding this...does this mean I still have to click to see the pop up and then it will tell the setup/cleanup times?
Or (please, please, please), does this mean that when you look at the “Week” view, the time blocked by setup and cleanup will show?
Thanks for all of the updates!
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

Yes, sorry, you will currently have to click on the details.

The release was delayed to hopefully next week. Developers are very busy on the priority work of changing lds.org to churchofjesuschrist.org and got pulled away. Also we currently have an outage of the message service that sends out reminders, due to a database upgrade. They should quickly get that fixed.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

Oh well, that is disappointing. Is there any way we can hear from either the developers or the people who give requirements as to why this was changed? I am sure someone had to say, “Let’s take this functionality away and it is a good idea because...”. Maybe if we understood the reasoning, it would make more sense (hard to believe but maybe).

Thanks!!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

RBeatse wrote:Is there any way we can hear from either the developers or the people who give requirements as to why this was changed? I am sure someone had to say, “Let’s take this functionality away and it is a good idea because...”
Based on my experience with prioritization of features, I'm guessing it was more of a "we don't have time to re-implement this feature that broke right now, with X and Z on our plate and Y coming down the pipe."
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

OK, I guess that answers it. If anyone asks you for input, this, to me, is a bug, not a feature that wasn’t implemented in the latest release. Looking at the calendar, you should be able to see the whole time a resource is scheduled and not just when the event itself is scheduled.

This is equivalent to me of deciding to just put a line on each day when an event starts instead of a block for the start to end. It would make the calendar easier to read with just a line but not as helpful. But, maybe I am in the minority.

Thanks for the response.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

Samuel Bradshaw's guess is correct. Calendar 3.0 implementation was a total rewrite of the front-end in a much more current front-end coding language. We didn't cut anything out of the code, we had to re-implement in new code and were asked to reduce and simply where we could. If we didn't make the right decisions on priorities of features, we can further re-implement items based on cost and our limited resources. And guess what, at some point we are going to need to rewrite the back-end too. The calendar is very complex. To do 3.0 I had to try to document every feature and business rule and it was more than 25 pages. There is a lot that goes on, especially with locations. It looks like our next fix release will be next week if all goes well. The list of fixes in long.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

@crockettDR, thank you for the response. I can’t imagine trying to document all of the features and such. Is the best way to make sure this gets on the bug list to comment from the web page or some other way (or is it already on the list?)?

Thanks
skiddlyarcus

Post by skiddlyarcus »

I don't see this reported after several searches so posting it as a bug report:

In Arizona (the only true and unwavering time zone):
I configure my time zone to "America/Phoenix" under "settings gear | date options"
When adding a new event to a shared/public calendar, the event initially shows properly in the "America/Phoenix" time zone.
However, when I choose which calendar the event is to be added to, the time zone changes to "America/Denver" and has to be manually corrected to "America/Phoenix" for each event.

It's as if there is a time zone field specified for each calendar that is set to Denver, but I am unable to find a place to update the calendar to phoenix.
I can see the logic in having differing time zones on each calendar - especially for stakes that span time zones.

i think the solution would be either to expose the time zone for each calendar or to update the calendar time zone to match the user time zone.

Return to “Calendar”