Stake calendar notifications not sent to members with non-stake callings

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lapinsuo

Stake calendar notifications not sent to members with non-stake callings

Post by lapinsuo »

Hi,

It seems that notifications from changes to stake events are not sent to non-stake members even if they have opted in (notifications turned on) for a stake calendar.

So, if I as the stake exec secretary change the time for our stake conference, not everyone gets a notification of it, even if they have opted in. I think they'd need to have a stake calling to get the notification email, even if the stake calendar is public.

Thoughts? I wonder if we've just configured the calendars incorrectly. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Stake calendar notifications not sent to members with non-stake callings

Post by russellhltn »

Can you clarify what you mean by "non-stake members"? Unless they've been added as a Out-of-unit member, they wouldn't be able to see any calendars of a stake they are not a member of.

The other issue is that notifications are under the control of the user. They have to be subscribed to the calendar, have notifications for that calendar turned on, and have notifications enabled in the calendar control panel. In short, there's a number of reasons someone may not have gotten the notice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lapinsuo

Post by lapinsuo »

Hi, and thank you for your quick response!

I'm sorry, by "non-stake members" I meant members without stake callings. At least back in January '17 one member was receiving notifications from ward events, but not stake events, even if he had subscribed to all calendars. He writes "I had notifications turned on for all stake calendars. However I looked at the notifications I had been receiving, and all were from ward events."

Whenever I create a stake event, I get a notification about it usually within 24 hours, even if I have used the "No, thank you" option under "Send an email about this event". If I want all who have subscribed and all who have turned notifications on to receive notice, should I use the "Now" or "Before event..," options under "Send an email about this event"? If yes, why then do I receive emails even without those settings? Because I'm the creator of the event?
lapinsuo

Post by lapinsuo »

I created two test events. First one with the "No, thank you" option on for "Send an email about this event", second one with "Now".

Below you can see which emails I got. First I got an email about event #2 that had "Now" turned on. Apparently it was sent immediately after creating the event. Then, a bit later, I got two more emails about both events.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4mNMF ... sp=sharing

Looks like "Send an email about this event" has nothing to do with the notification settings / members' calendar subscriptions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's interesting. I noticed you seem to have two different formats of email. The "calendar event notification" on the bottom seems like it's following the rules and working as intended.

The two "New Event" emails appears to be a notification to you as a editor that something has changed on the calendar. I'm unaware of any functionality like that. I'm not sure just who gets those. It might be the calendar editors or it might be more narrow.

I'm not sure why the member isn't getting stake notifications unless it's turned off in the subscriptions. No one else has reported that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”