Calendar Names in iCal files?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ThorntonJE

Calendar Names in iCal files?

Post by ThorntonJE »

As Stake Executive Secretary I am responsible for maintaining and distributing a weekly Stake Bulletin with a calendar of events for the next month. I regularly import my calendar view as an iCal file and parse it to obtain a list of events to paste into my bulletin. This keeps the calendar fresh and allows me to quickly update the bulletin. However, because I have calendars for the Stake Presidency, Stake PEC and other confidential calendars in my view, I have to manually review the resulting event list to ensure that none of the confidential events are included in the bulletin. I know that I could work around this issue by unsubscribing to the confidential calendars each time before doing the iCal import, but It would be so much easier if the iCal file included the name of the calendar from which the event was extracted as a VEVENT Category descriptor under RFC 5545. sec 3.8.1.2. This would allow me to filter quickly on the calendar name.

Is there any chance that this could be implemented by the developers without too much trouble? It would save me a great deal of time. If others are using the iCal files, it may be of use to them also to be able to filter by calendar name. Since Category is an optional descriptor, it would be ignored by software that didn't recognize it.

Thanks,
-Jeff
eblood66

Re: Calendar Names in iCal files?

Post by eblood66 »

To get feedback to the product manager and decision makers, you should use the Feedback link at the bottom of the calendar. The product managers and decision makers generally don't read posts in the forums.

We have been told that they are working on a major revision to the calendar so now would probably be the time for such a change to be made if they decide to do it.

Return to “Calendar”