Sharing a building between 2 Districts

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tavarishch
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:06 pm

Sharing a building between 2 Districts

Postby tavarishch » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:12 am

I am the building coordinator for our facility, but we have 2 Districts (4 Branches) that use our building. We are unable to effectively reserve the building because the other district is unable to see our events and vice versa. Is it possible for me or the Branch Presidents to get access to see the events from the other District that uses our building?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 21923
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Sharing a building between 2 Districts

Postby russellhltn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:04 am

Not directly, but the Agent Stake (District) can add the other stake (district) to the building. That way the two of you are scheduling the SAME building and not a duplicate one. The system will not allow two events to book the same building regardless of who it is.

Once the building is set up, you should be able to check the location calendar and at least see when the building is in use.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

johnny2007
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Re: Sharing a building between 2 Districts

Postby johnny2007 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:12 pm

That wouldn't show up as under the ward calendar, but the building calendar? Reason I ask is that I was tasked as the building scheduler for the building that my ward meets. Since the YSA wards that meet in that building is now part of the newly created Washington DC YSA Stake, I was curious to how that would work out once I get in touch with the stake clerk of the former stake that the ward was in.
Johnny T.
Current Calling: Assistant Ward Clerk- Membership

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 21923
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Sharing a building between 2 Districts

Postby russellhltn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:32 pm

johnny2007 wrote:That wouldn't show up as under the ward calendar, but the building calendar?

By in large, you can't see the ward calendars for units you are not a member of. So it might show in their ward calendar, but you can't because you can't see their ward calendar.

The location calendar should show all events, but I'm not sure if you can see the details - just that the time is blocked out.

Note that the system really doesn't support the old model of "Building Schedulers". It's designed for each calendar editor to do their own sceduling. Under the current system, the Building Scheduler is more like a referee that goes in when there's a problem. They're out of the loop on day-to-day scheduling. That change is not spelled out well and some stakes have a hard time letting go.

You can "building schedule" to the unit level. But to be the scheduler for multiple units - it gets ugly.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

johnny2007
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Re: Sharing a building between 2 Districts

Postby johnny2007 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:46 pm

russellhltn wrote:
johnny2007 wrote:That wouldn't show up as under the ward calendar, but the building calendar?

By in large, you can't see the ward calendars for units you are not a member of. So it might show in their ward calendar, but you can't because you can't see their ward calendar.

The location calendar should show all events, but I'm not sure if you can see the details - just that the time is blocked out.

Note that the system really doesn't support the old model of "Building Schedulers". It's designed for each calendar editor to do their own sceduling. Under the current system, the Building Scheduler is more like a referee that goes in when there's a problem. They're out of the loop on day-to-day scheduling. That change is not spelled out well and some stakes have a hard time letting go.

You can "building schedule" to the unit level. But to be the scheduler for multiple units - it gets ugly.


I can actually see the times of the events that are on the location calendar. My ward is working on a way to get the building schedule for all 3 wards within the 2 stakes so I already had the feeling that it will get ugly in the long run. It will be a fun challenge to work on along with my new clerk calling.

Thanks!
Johnny T.
Current Calling: Assistant Ward Clerk- Membership

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 21923
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Sharing a building between 2 Districts

Postby russellhltn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:54 pm

johnny2007 wrote:My ward is working on a way to get the building schedule for all 3 wards within the 2 stakes

For what purpose? If you need to know if the building is in use, check the location calendar. (Just remember, the location calendar is NOT available in LDS Tools.)

If they're trying to centralize scheduling, I wouldn't advise that. The system takes care of preventing most conflicts. You'd have to watch out for things like a basketball game going on at the same time as something in the chapel.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest