Cannot change the calendar of an existing series

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
smconvey

Cannot change the calendar of an existing series

Post by smconvey »

I created a repeating event and accidentally saved it into the wrong calendar. There are two issues:
  1. I edited the event to change it to the desired calendar; but when I try to save, it reverts back to the edit screen without saving anything.
  2. If I do the preceding step and then extend the date slightly, it does save the extended date, but doesn't save it to the desired calendar. Instead, it keeps it in the wrong calendar.
I can delete and recreate the entire series, but that is a hassle. Thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Cannot change the calendar of an existing series

Post by russellhltn »

What about making it a non-repeating event, saving it, and then change the calendar?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

russellhltn wrote:What about making it a non-repeating event, saving it, and then change the calendar?
That worked, but in a quirky way, as follows:
  1. I changed the first event in the series to not repeat and changed it to the desired calendar and saved. This moved the single event into the desired calendar.
  2. For some reason, when I made the first event non-repeating, all following events remained in the calendar. I'm not sure if they remained linked to the first event, which is now non-repeating.
  3. I manually deleted the subsequent events, but selected only following events because I wasn't sure if the first event (now non-repeating) was still connected to the subsequent events.
  4. Then, I extended my first event to repeat for the duration.
I've been a stake website administrator since the inception of the new calendar and I find the calendar more buggy/quirky than ever. Also, the ward website administrators and building schedulers over whom I have stewardship are struggling more than ever. I like many of the improvements, but stability, quirkiness, and bugginess seem to be the price. This can be very discouraging. When the calendar first came out, they had extensive documentation and great training videos. The documentation has been scaled way back and the training videos are nearly non-existent. These shortcomings are unfortunate because, as a result, many people dread using the calendar. I used to say, just wait, it will get better; but in many ways it is getting worse.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

smconvey wrote:I changed the first event in the series to not repeat and changed it to the desired calendar and saved.
I would have saved between the two steps.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

russellhltn wrote:I would have saved between the two steps.
Haha, is that an indicator of your faith in the system? ;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know for sure how the back end is organized - but I'd play it safe. The very fact it didn't want to just change calendars in the first place would have told to to tread lightly. Switching to single-event AND moving calendars in one shot strikes me as more complex then moving a multi-event to a new calendar.

Return to “Calendar”