Online Calendar not loading-functioning

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ELHawkes

Re: Online Calendar not loading-functioning

Post by ELHawkes »

ELHawkes wrote:
CrockettDR wrote:Yes, we have been seeing some issolated cases similar to this. We would be very interested if this can be narrowed down to a particular calendar that we could take a close look at.

Dave Crockett - calendar product manager
I haven't' been able to convince anyone at the stake level to follow through with this so I'll give a little more input.
In the Brigham City Utah South Stake (501638), when either of these two items have a check in the check box at the left of the calendar web page, the calendar webpage is non functional for everyone in the stake. It doesn't matter if one or both of these are checked, or with nothing else check or with everything else checked.
So there must be a corrupt event somewhere in that calendar.
To gain any functionality, each user has to access the calendar and get those two items un-checked which is not a straight forward task for most.

Locations:
Brigham South Stake Center

Stake Calendars:
Brigham City Utah South Stake

I made a suggestion to the stake and decided to give my suggestion a try today to see if it really works.
I suggested that they create a new calendar with a similar name and re-populate it with the same event info and delete the old calendar.
They could use the LDS tools app with the calendar set to 12 months to view the current events and re-populate online.

Test 1
1. I created a test calendar for the Brigham 10th ward and called it "Test 10th".
2. I then added an event called "Test" on Monday the 26th Oct 2015 6pm.
3. I then went back and deleted the "Test 10th" calendar and in the process it said it would delete the calendar and all events associated with it, so I let it delete the calendar.
It did delete the calendar but it did not delete the event online.
When opening the event to view it, there was no delete option either.
4. I refreshed my LDS Tools app and it does not show the "Test 10th" calendar or the Test event offline in the app.
5. I decided to re-create the "Test 10th" calendar in an attempt to see if I could then go back and delete the event, but got an error saying I could not create the calendar because it was not a unique name, even though there is no calendar with that name because I previously deleted it.

Test 2
1. I created another test calendar called "Test2 10th"
2. I created an event called "Test2" on Monday the 26th Oct 2015 6pm and it wouldn't let me saying that there was already an event from another unit at the same block of time, when really it was the event called "Test" from Test 1 that I cannot delete now.
So I changed the time to 7 for the Test2 event and it let me create it.
3. I verified that I could see the new calendar and event in the calendar view.
4. I then deactivated the calendar "Test2 10th" so see if the associated event "Test2" still showed up in the calendar view. It did.
5. While the calendar was deactivated, I clicked on the event "Test2" and there was no option to delete or edit it.
6 I then reactivated the calendar "Test2 10th"
7. I then deleted the "Test2" event and could no longer see the event in calendar view.
8. I then deleted the "Test2 10th" Calendar. (note: this time, it did not warn me that it would delete the associated events because I had already done so) It just deleted it with out question.
9. I then tried to re-create the Calendar using the same name "Test2 10th" and again it would not let me saying it was not a unique name.

So my conclusion is that my suggestion to the Stake to create a new calendar with a similar name and deleting the old calendar with the corrupt event, really would not be much help because deleting or de-activating the old calendar does not actually delete the events associated with it, so the corrupt event would still exist that is causing the calendar system for everyone in the stake to be un usable.
If the old calendar was deleted it could possibly cause much more confusion since the 100's of events associated with it could not be manually deleted after that. Of course that is assuming you could even get the calendar to work with the corrupt event still existing.

The Online Stake/Ward Calendar has been unavailable for almost 3 months now. Any help in getting it fixed would be greatly appreciated.
Larry H.
I decided to try one more thing because I hardly ever use the week view and I got curious if it would make a difference.
I switched to week view and then re-checked the two stake items that were causing problems.
Locations:
Brigham South Stake Center

Stake Calendars:
Brigham City Utah South Stake

In the week view with all items checked, everything seems to work fine. If I switch back to the month view with these two stake items having a check mark, it freezes up within 2 seconds and I have to go through the process of un-checking those two items again.

I guess this is a small work around, but hopefully the new calendar version will get released this week as indicated here
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

We believe this problem is fixed.
smithrents

Post by smithrents »

I am the executive secretary and I am unable to create any events. Is there someone I can call?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

smithrents wrote:I am the executive secretary and I am unable to create any events.
What exactly is happening? Where are you getting stuck?

How recently were you made an executive secretary? If it was just yesterday, I'd suggest waiting a bit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
smithrents

Post by smithrents »

I've been an exec secretary for almost a year. It seems like it used to work, but for a few months I haven't been able to add events. It might be something I did trying to boost up security on my computer, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember what I did that might have caused the problem. I use Mozilla browser. I can't add events on my phone either, but I think that is normal. I started moving info to the outlook calendar and so I can find some info, but about 6 calendars show up and I can't figure out which one to look at. The titles are just a bunch of random numbers. My outlook is really old, like 2007 I think.

When it opens up the clock thing just spins. I can see that my name shows up and I am logged in, but it won't open the calendar until I go out to the ward directory and then back in again. But even when I can see the calendar, I can't add anything. I am input as an authorized user and everything else seems to work ok other than the calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Given the security settings, I'd suggest trying with another computer or browser.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
smithrents

Post by smithrents »

I ended up getting it working by using Microsoft browser instead of Mozilla.

Return to “Calendar”