Calender item entry - rights problem

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
motch6

Calender item entry - rights problem

Post by motch6 »

I've been led on a wild goose chase! Headquarters that handles the MLS system sent me to LDS.org to fix this issue and then LDS.org sent me here...

The problem: Our Relief Society Presidency and Primary President can not make entries to the the church calendar (found on LDS.org). They are properly setup in MLS and I understand that their callings give them all the rights they need to perform this task. Headquarters denies its their problem and that it is a calender issue. The help from LDS.org say its a Technical issue that they don't deal with. :confused:

The Solution needed: These Sisters need access to enter calendar items! They have all been in their callings longer than 6 months!

Temporary fix: I have given at least the Primary President full ADMIN rights in MLS. Interestingly enough, this helped her. The problem with this is, I don't like allowing her full access to MLS!!

HELP, please someone? Point me in the right direction at least. :cool:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calender item entry - rights problem

Post by russellhltn »

motch6 wrote:Temporary fix: I have given at least the Primary President full ADMIN rights in MLS. Interestingly enough, this helped her.
First off, the rights to MLS has NOTHING to do with on-line rights. Only the callings assigned in MLS has any bearing.

As for your main problem, there's two issues that need to be looked at:

1) The sisters in question must have callings that are Standard Positions. By that, I mean using callings from the Standard Position list in MLS and NOT a Custom Position, even if the calling is spelled exactly the same way. Custom positions NEVER have any rights attached to them. You can check this in CDOL by looking to see if these sisters are listed in orange type. If they are, it's a custom position. The best way to fix that is to use the Custom Position review tool in MLS. More details here.

2) Those callings must be assigned appropriate rights in the calendar system. While generally the RS President does have edit rights to the RS calendar, it's not automatic.

See step #7 under "Creating Ward Calendars" in the Help file for assigning rights.

Then there's another issue - training. It's possible the sisters have the rights but just don't know how or have a mistaken understanding of how to edit and create events. After you've checked out the two issues above, have them log in to lds.org using the ward computer and show you the problem. As far as I know, there's no way to create events in LDS Tools.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

In many wards, there is no such thing as a Relief Society calendar because none was ever created by the ward administrators. Some wards only use one calendar, I suppose because they think it is simpler to manage, and because they believe in central administration by one or few people. In either case, the ward leaders have not caught the vision or been trained to use the new calendar system as designed.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:In many wards, there is no such thing as a Relief Society calendar because none was ever created by the ward administrators.
Good point. When the calendar system was started it was a blank slate - no calendars and no rights (except for the default calendar admins). It was up to the ward to create calendars and assign rights.

I'd strongly suggest that the ward keep in mind the members and not put everything on one calendar. Not everyone needs to attend RS events. Or Primary events. Anything not involving the bulk of the adults should be on a separate calendar so members can avoid subscribing to calendars that do not apply to them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
motch6

Post by motch6 »

russellhltn wrote:
motch6 wrote:Temporary fix: I have given at least the Primary President full ADMIN rights in MLS. Interestingly enough, this helped her.
First off, the rights to MLS has NOTHING to do with on-line rights. Only the callings assigned in MLS has any bearing.
Apparently your comment is not true. After following your directions to find the permissions area, I stumbled upon the administrators settings. Interestingly enough, the primary president (by name) was given Administrator Rights. The only way this could have happened was either "I" myself or the Bishop went in and gave her rights on the calendar. Trust me he didn't do this! This came from MLS! So "Permissions" and "Administrators" are programmed differently!
russellhltn wrote:As for your main problem, there's two issues that need to be looked at:

1) The sisters in question must have callings that are Standard Positions. By that, I mean using callings from the Standard Position list in MLS and NOT a Custom Position, even if the calling is spelled exactly the same way. Custom positions NEVER have any rights attached to them. You can check this in CDOL by looking to see if these sisters are listed in orange type. If they are, it's a custom position. The best way to fix that is to use the Custom Position review tool in MLS. More details here.
This was helpful, but was not our problem. They were not setup as custom positions. They had the standard Primary President and Relief Society President callings.
russellhltn wrote:2) Those callings must be assigned appropriate rights in the calendar system. While generally the RS President does have edit rights to the RS calendar, it's not automatic.

See step #7 under "Creating Ward Calendars" in the Help file for assigning rights.
This was the most helpful point. Thank you! I was able to find the permissions and as mentioned above I found the Administrator settings! Again. Thank you :cool:

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

motch6 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
Apparently your comment is not true. After following your directions to find the permissions area, I stumbled upon the administrators settings. Interestingly enough, the primary president (by name) was given Administrator Rights. The only way this could have happened was either "I" myself or the Bishop went in and gave her rights on the calendar. Trust me he didn't do this! This came from MLS! So "Permissions" and "Administrators" are programmed differently!
I can assure you that russellhltn's statement is true. Rights in MLS do not get communicated to CHQ or any part of lds.org at all.

However, there are others who could have added her as an administrator in the calendar app. Anyone with default administrator rights can do so and that includes the bishop, bishopric counselors, the executive secretary, the ward clerk, any assistant ward clerk or the ward website administrator. One of those people would have had to add her as an administrator directly in the calendar app. That is the only way she could have been added by name.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Rights in MLS do not get communicated to CHQ or any part of lds.org at all.
It would seem highly, highly unlikely for a MLS login right to look at the user's record and then change a right on a Ward calendar (keeping in mind that there is no standardized ward calendar name). Not when there's already a elaborate setup for administering calendar rights separate from MLS.

Since there's no reason for the Primary President to have admin rights in MLS, I'd suggest that you put her back to "organizational" rights only.

You might also change that calendar right "by name" to "by calling". Otherwise that member will continue to have rights after they are released and the new Primary President will not have any rights to edit.

Return to “Calendar”