Calendar Is Double Booking Events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ASpaugh

Calendar Is Double Booking Events

Post by ASpaugh »

I've been the building scheduler for our Stake for 7 years, and this is the first time I've seen this. Two different people were able to book our Stake pavilion at the same time. They had everything done perfectly to schedule it. The system shouldn't have allowed this to happen, but it did. Is this a glitch?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar Is Double Booking Events

Post by russellhltn »

ASpaugh wrote:Is this a glitch?
Probably. Double-booking should never happen, but due to some misunderstandings of how things work, it can happen.

The first thing to check: Did both actually select the same location/"room"? (Perhaps one only listed the location and didn't actually select it.) Is it possible there is a duplicate location/room such that each booked a different location on the system that refers to the same physical location?

Is one "event" actually a restriction and the other an event? Many are surprised at how restrictions work: It's only possible to restrict it to a unit. If a building scheduler used a restriction to book the cultural hall for the RS, the YM of the same unit can still schedule a basketball game there. In that case the fault lies with the building scheduler not understanding how restrictions work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ASpaugh

Post by ASpaugh »

Thanks for the reply.

I double-checked everything and it was done correctly by both people. They were both for events, not restrictions. There aren't double calendars for the same location. I did a few test events and I can schedule anything I want no matter what is already scheduled at the Pavilion. I tried this with other locations in the Stake as well and the Pavilion is the only one that has this issue. I don't know what else to try.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ASpaugh wrote:There aren't double calendars for the same location. .... I did a few test events and I can schedule anything I want no matter what is already scheduled at the Pavilion. I tried this with other locations in the Stake as well and the Pavilion is the only one that has this issue.
Is the Pavilion a calendar or a location? The system prevents double-booking of locations. I don't think there's anything to prevent multiple events on the same calendar.

Is there anything that you can see different about how the Pavilion is set up from the other locations?

Can you attach some screen shots (cutting out any sensitive information as needed)?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ASpaugh

Post by ASpaugh »

The Pavilion is a location, not a calendar. It's one single location outside, no rooms, so you have to book the entire thing.
Attachments
Pavilion.JPG
(19.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ASpaugh

Post by ASpaugh »

Also...
Attachments
locations.JPG
locations.JPG (17.49 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ASpaugh wrote:The Pavilion is a location, not a calendar. It's one single location outside, no rooms, so you have to book the entire thing.
I wonder if there is a bug involving locations which have no rooms. I could see that case being missed in testing and not showing up in production use much.
Last edited by eblood66 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:I wonder if there is a bug involving locations which have no rooms. I could see that case being missed in testing and now showing up in production use much.
I think that's it, because I can duplicate it.

Edit: "Entire Facility" works as expected, so this doesn't seem to carry over to any usage case for multi-room facilities.
Attachments
DoubleBooking.jpg
DoubleBooking.jpg (9.15 KiB) Viewed 4504 times

ASpaugh

Post by ASpaugh »

Well hopefully they will fix it soon, because this is very frustrating. I added a room and tested it, and now it won't book conflicting events.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ASpaugh wrote:Well hopefully they will fix it soon,
I can't say how soon, but that kind of bug gets prompt attention. Bugs that are just annoying and can be worked around usually wait for a update.

The developers have been notified.

Return to “Calendar”