[Q] Building Scheduler Notifications

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
sannar

[Q] Building Scheduler Notifications

Post by sannar »

Does the Building Scheduler receive a notification email when an event is created that uses the building regardless of the calendars they are subscribed to?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: [Q] Building Scheduler Notifications

Post by russellhltn »

sannar wrote:Does the Building Scheduler receive a notification email when an event is created that uses the building regardless of the calendars they are subscribed to?
No. There is no special notification for Building Schedulers. In this system they're really more of a supervisor than "hands on" manager of every event.

So a person would receive an email only if:
  • They are subscribed to the calender.
  • They have enabled notification for that calendar.
  • They haven't disabled notification in their user options.
  • The event creator chooses to send an email.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sannar

Post by sannar »

Thank you for your reply.

We are trying to help our PFRs (who are also schedulers) with some common cleaning and security issues throughout the Stake. We are preparing a couple of pdf files to share with the group, auxiliary, family etc, who will use the building and were hoping it was possible for us to have the schedulers forward the attachment to an email given when the event is created.

Adding a Stake toggled option for a mandatory notification to the scheduler for any event using the building would be helpful.

Thank you again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sannar wrote:We are preparing a couple of pdf files to share with the group, auxiliary, family etc, who will use the building and were hoping it was possible for us to have the schedulers forward the attachment to an email given when the event is created.
I would forward that PDF to all the calendar editors in the stake on a periodic basis. They are the only ones who can schedule an event. I'm having a problem envisioning a need to do that for every event. I doubt if the recipient would appreciate that.

As for family events, someone will have to do that for them. I'd make that person responsible for forwarding the PDF to the families that request use of the building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sannar

Post by sannar »

russellhltn wrote:I would forward that PDF to all the calendar editors in the stake on a periodic basis.
1st - That's a great idea. Can that be done from somewhere in the Calendar? I've looked through the settings, but I don't see that option for me (I'm an administrator).

2nd - It's not that each event needs to have a file sent, but the option would be nice. For a majority of the events in a building, no file needs to be forwarded or additional communication had because the ward auxiliary hosting the event is hosting the event in their own Ward's building, and they know from constant reminders from the PFR how to leave the building when done (every PFR has different expectations). However, on occasion, a different building may be used because of a wood floor vs carpet in the cultural hall, or the Stake building is already reserved, but another meetinghouse is available, or for buildings that have a soccer field or baseball field on the property etc. In this case, an auxiliary would schedule and use a building that is not their home Ward's building. This is the situation where additional communication is needed. I was hoping a notification could assist us in having this communication earlier and more often.

Which brings me to a followup question. Is there a way to adjust the permissions of the "calendar editors"? We've discussed previously if it was possible to remove the permission to create an event in a building that is not from your home ward if you do not have a Stake calling. That would cause anyone wanting to use a different building to communicate with the appropriate building scheduler, much like what happens for wedding receptions.

Thank you again for the input and timely responses!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sannar wrote:Can that be done from somewhere in the Calendar?
No.

sannar wrote:Is there a way to adjust the permissions of the "calendar editors"?
Not really. You can try and have the stake remove units that don't meet at a particular building, but I don't think that has any affect. However, they'd still have to find someone with a key, so that might be an opportunity.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:You can try and have the stake remove units that don't meet at a particular building, but I don't think that has any affect.
When the stake assigns a unit to a building, it only affects whether restrictions can be created for that unit. It does not prevent any calendar editor or administrator from the ward scheduling an event in that building.

When we switched to the new calendar in our stake, some people had concerns about wards that might schedule an event in another building. But it really hasn't been a problem. The keys are to:
  • Make sure that restrictions are set up for standard building usages such as Mutual night
  • Every ward creates actual events on the calendar (no assumptions that the building will be available otherwise)
  • If someone does schedule an event at another building, they typically won't have keys, so they have to contact someone in authority at that building.
I understand that it can be scary to distribute control and rely on an electronic system, but it has worked very well for us. It's very rare that a ward schedules an event in a different building, but when it happens, it works out fine.

Return to “Calendar”