Getting Access to all ward calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
willfordbj

Re: Getting Access to all ward calendars

Post by willfordbj »

Thank you
willfordbj

Post by willfordbj »

I am really confused and fairly new at this. I appologise if I am frustrating anybody. I was just learning to use the old version before this new change. I am trying to understand what you are saying but it is difficult to understand because it sounds like you are saying that I CAN see all of the building events that are scheduled but on my view I have not been able to see that. On my view, I can only see my ward, stake led activities, restrictions, and events that I or the other schedulers have booked. I can't see what another ward might have booked. It sounds like I am not supposed to be able to see other ward calendars, but that I am supposed to be able to see what is scheduled for the building. Is that correct? Doesn't quite make sense to me. The Stake clerk said I should comment and learn from here. I don't know what wiki is.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

willfordbj wrote:It sounds like I am not supposed to be able to see other ward calendars, but that I am supposed to be able to see what is scheduled for the building. Is that correct? Doesn't quite make sense to me.
Correct. When a event is scheduled, there are three choices for locations:
  • "Church Facility" (where a building and room(s) are selected)
  • "Other Facility" (such as a local park)
  • "No Facility"
If an event is scheduled using "Church Facility" and you select to view that facility in your calendar, you'll see the event.

But you can't see ward events for other wards that take place at a "Other Facility" or "No Facility".

There's something else that might be at play here: If the locations were not set for "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes", then that building would not be available under "Church Facility". Prior to 2.7, you as a building scheduler could see see the restrictions calendar. But with 2.7, you may not be able to. (See Calendar 2.7 not allowing creation of new restrictions.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
willfordbj

Post by willfordbj »

It appears that if ward members are not understanding that they need to enter a location for their event, doubled up events could take place with either the person who entered the event location having the valid event scheduled and rooms reserved or multiple people thinking that they have them reserved. Also, this is a good reason to show the ward calendars as stated above by another scheduler because we can look at their calendar and see they have not entered a location. If I am entering a reservation and another ward other than mine has entered an event for the "same building" and only I have entered a location and the other member has not, we are going to have a double booked room and upset members calling us with conflicts. It's not going to go over well if there is not training to the members or an "all ward calendars" viewable by the schedulers to try to locate a problem in advance.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

willfordbj wrote:It appears that if ward members are not understanding that they need to enter a location for their event, doubled up events could take place with either the person who entered the event location having the valid event scheduled and rooms reserved or multiple people thinking that they have them reserved.
That has not been a problem in our stake -- it's obvious to most people that they need to specify the location in order to actually book the room. In any case, we have been very clear in all our training that if you don't have an event on the calendar with a location/room specified, you don't have any claim to the building. Early on, we had one or two situations where people made a mistake, and they paid the price and learned the lesson. But it has not been a problem at all for several years.

And we certainly wouldn't expect our building schedulers to review every event on every calendar (even if it were technically possible) to see if by chance someone neglected to add a location. There's no reasonable way to detect every newly added event, so that would be very difficult to stay on top of. That sounds like a ton of work, and would not be completely effective in finding problems anyway.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

One potential solution would be to add checkboxes under the other locations to see events scheduled at "Other Facility" or "No Facility"
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
AsayI

Post by AsayI »

I have a similar question, I'm a clerk with a ysa Ward and for Ward activities we will often coordinate with the family stake to use the building because it's closer to where the members of the ward live. We are working with the family stake to find a way to be able to see what is on their calendar so that we can make sure the building is free before we start announcing activities. What would be the best way to accomplish this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

AsayI wrote:I'm a clerk with a ysa Ward and for Ward activities we will often coordinate with the family stake to use the building because it's closer to where the members of the ward live.
The key is to set up the facilities so you can see their building. If you don't see it, then have the other stake add your ward to the building.

You don't need to see their calendar-you need to see the building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”