Modified events not updated

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Modified events not updated

Post by russellhltn »

At this point both my Google Calendar and my Android phone show the new time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lleach4

Post by lleach4 »

Last night in presidency meeting, I received the stake conference schedule for 2015 so I added it to the calendar on lds.org. As part of that, I moved stake PEC in February a week earlier so it wouldn't conflict. This morning, the stake conference is appearing fine on all my devices and calendars. The stake PEC hasn't moved at all. Keep in mind, I made these changes last night within minutes of each other so they should have synced together.

I downloaded the ICS file and stake PEC did appear correctly in that file. So I checked my google calendar online and it didn't sync properly either. In this case, the issue is not with the apple devices or the mac, it is between google and lds.org.

There is clearly a problem with the syncing of google with lds.org unless my calendar is simply set up incorrectly. Because I am getting some syncing, I doubt that is the case, which brings me back to the original question of how we can be confident the average member will stay updated...

As far as how my calendar is set up, I created a new google calendar called LDS google sync and pasted in my url. Then I went to an obscure link (https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect?pli=1) to make sure it appeared as an option to display on my iphone and ipad. I also deleted all my subscribed calendars that used the link. I then made sure my devices had my calendar set up as a CalDAV. (My understanding is that just turning on the calendar that is connected to your gmail account on the iphone doesn't sync properly.) Start telling the average member to make sure they set their calendar up as CalDAV and you will lose them immediately but most of them could create a subscribed calendar if that was a reliable option for syncing, meaning dropping the nine minute rule.

All that being said, I might have found part of the issue. We have another stake conference in August 2015 and I also posted that one and moved stake PEC one week. In the February case, I simply dragged PEC to the week before. In the August case, I wanted to see if it made a difference if I edited the event by manually changing the date rather than dragging it. The August PEC synced. I think dragging events to change the date, which is something I am prone to do, might be an issue. I am going to manually edit the February PEC to see if that works.

It doesn't explain why changing the name or time of an existing event that remains on the same day doesn't sync but maybe we are dealing with more than one bug.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to give it more time. I would have expected everything to update at once, but perhaps if given another try, it will straighten out. I'm wondering if the additions are causing some changes to be missed. In my testing I only changed the one event, so I probably had a rather quiet "sync".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lleach4

Post by lleach4 »

The August PEC is not synced correctly after all. I must have been mistaken. It's been five days now so I have to assume the meetings I moved in February and August 2015 are not going to sync. I did change the name of a fireside happening next week by deleting it and creating a new event.

That's what I am going to do from now on. Events that are modified just don't sync properly with google. I can't believe I am the only one who has problems or who has noticed this. If there is anything I can do to provide info for debugging, let me know. Thanks for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What I find odd is that you're the only one reporting this. Usually if there's a problem we get a bunch of "me too"s. The calendar and sync is used heavily enough that I'd think someone would notice things not being in sync. The only explanation I have at this point is that most of us are probably not looking at events that far into the future. Either it self-corrects as the time gets closer or it's a recent problem that no one else has noticed yet.

Have you narrowed down if the problem is church-to-Google or Google-to-iOS? I think you've confirmed that the .ical file is correct.

lleach4

Post by lleach4 »

It appears to be church to google. The .ical file is correct.

The other possible explanation is that I am pretty proactive about adding events which means I probably end up modifying them way more than others.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lleach4 wrote:The .ical file is correct.
In that case you may want to check in with the Google community. Perhaps there's something they are aware of. Or should be aware of.

Is there anything at all unusual about your account? Perhaps it's not "gmail" but some other domain that is serviced by Google? Perhaps an app account?

Mine is just a generic gmail account that I've had for a number of years. Probably the most common verity of Google account.

lleach4

Post by lleach4 »

It's just a generic google account. I suspect it is something about the .ics file that google is not taking correctly. I suspect that google isn't recognizing the event as having been modified. Whether that is an exporting error on the lds side or an importing error with google, I can't say. It would seem like it was a google error but maybe there is something that meets the eye in the .ics file. If it is google it has to be a known issue. There are just too many people using their calendar. I am not sure I have the time to delve into on another forum either.

The PEC in Feb 2015 that I moved up one week is still showing on my google sync with the original date. Today I deleted the event altogether to see if it would disappear on my google calendar even though it is appearing with the wrong date currently. If it does disappear, that will be interesting. It will show that lds.org is still providing information about an event that google has with an incorrect date.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

One thing that might be worth looking at again - how many devices/things are using your church sync URL directly? (Syncing with the Google calendar doesn't count.) As far as I can tell Google only syncs about once a day and I'm not sure how hard it tries. If it's trying within 9 minutes of some other device/service doing it's sync, it's not going to be able to update. (There is a 9 minute throttle on requests.) I don't see any way to tell when the last successful sync was.

I don't have anything else that syncs, so no conflict for me.

lleach4

Post by lleach4 »

I unsubscribed all my devices to avoid the 9 minute issue. Only my google calendar syncs.

So, this is interesting. The stake PEC that I moved up a week in February 2015 did not update correctly when I modified it. It showed on 2/1 on lds.org and 2/8 on google. However, when I deleted it from 2/1 on lds.org, it deleted the event on 2/8 on google. So the calendars were communicating about the event and recognized it as the same one even though they showed it on different dates.

Return to “Calendar”