Adding a repeating restriction - doesn't work

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Adding a repeating restriction - doesn't work

Post by aebrown »

mwgbell wrote:Any timeline for fixing this? We usually set up restrictions for all of the buildings in the Stake for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (for ward Mutual nights and ward RS mid-week meetings). The restrictions block the entire building; and all rooms in the buildings. The wards know who has which rooms on which nights; the restriction prevents others from booking the building for parties or whatnot.
Any other suggestions?
The current problem applies only to "Blocked" restrictions, which is what you are using, but which is really not the right thing to do in your scenario. You want any of the wards in the building to be able to use the building; you're just trying to save some time by using a "Blocked" restriction rather than individual restrictions for each ward. Your approach is treating the Calendar simply as a means for booking the building, and ignoring the great benefits that come from allowing wards to put specific events on the calendar as a means for communicating what events are happening when and where. Using events allows this communication, which will enable events to show up on calendars that members sync to their personal calendars, including smart phones.

In any case, there's a fairly simple step you can take right now that will work around the current bug with "Blocked" restrictions, and also allow each ward to schedule events on those days, if they want to. Just replace each of your "Blocked" restrictions with a repeating restriction for each ward that uses the building. So if Ward A and Ward B meet in Building 1, you just add 2 repeating restrictions for Tue/Wed/Thu for the entire building for every week, one for Ward A, and one for Ward B. If Ward C, Ward D, and Ward E meet in Building 2, you just add 3 repeating restrictions for Tue/Wed/Thu for that entire building for every week.

When you use restrictions this way (for multiple wards for the same dates for the same building), the restrictions don't conflict with each other, but simply block all other wards. So in my example, either Ward A or Ward B could schedule any event on Tue/Wed/Thu in Building 1. But no other ward in the stake could schedule anything in Building 1 on those days.

The net result of this approach would be quite similar to what you have now, in that no ward outside the wards assigned to each building would be able to book the buildings. But you will have successfully worked around the bug with Blocked restrictions and you'll open the possibility for the wards within the buildings to actually create events. You'll even have a better foundation set up if you want to adjust those restrictions to be more targeted for rooms and dates for particular wards, but that's totally optional and could be done later.
codyschouten

Post by codyschouten »

This doesn't solve the problem when the event is for a personal (non-church) related event. If I understand things correctly, blocked is the way to do personal events.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

codyschouten wrote:This doesn't solve the problem when the event is for a personal (non-church) related event. If I understand things correctly, blocked is the way to do personal events.
With the changes in how blocked is handled, it could work. But personally I'd suggest having a calendar set aside for personal events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

codyschouten wrote:This doesn't solve the problem when the event is for a personal (non-church) related event. If I understand things correctly, blocked is the way to do personal events.
No, that's not the way to book personal events. The documentation is quite clear on that point, and it has never been recommended, as far as I can remember.

An actual calendar event is the way to book an event, period. If it's a personal event, put it on a private calendar. Restrictions exist only to stop people from booking events, and should never be used in place of an event.
eyordy

Post by eyordy »

My problem is that I am trying to create a "location unavailable" repeating restriction. The reason is this - we have an addictions group that holds meetings in our building (since the church is selling our seminary buildings that used to be perfect for this). We don't want an event on the calendar because it is a confidential meeting, but we don't want anyone to be able to schedule the space either - if we do a restriction for the stake, stake leaders can then go in and take the space when putting an event on the calendar. Do I really have to go in 52 times to reserve each weekly meeting space as unavailable?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eyordy wrote:Do I really have to go in 52 times to reserve each weekly meeting space as unavailable?
I'd make a private calendar with a nondescript name. The event will than appear as "private event".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eyordy

Post by eyordy »

Great idea. In fact I am going to create a private calendar for more of our presidency only events.

Return to “Calendar”