Is there a beginner's manual?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ahancey

Re: Is there a beginner's manual?

Post by ahancey »

Thank you russellhltn, I like your comments and will print them out and probably quote you. I am sure it comes down to a lack of understanding about 1) how restrictions work and 2) that not everyone in the ward can edit the calendar. I need to make that clear. I met with the three bishoprics in my building last week and they would love to know what is going on in the building and when they can schedule activities. If all they could do was schedule during certain restricted times, I know they would be thrilled with that small freedom.

I am hoping this is all just a misunderstanding of some of the features of the calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ahancey wrote:I like your comments and will print them out and probably quote you.
That's fine. Despite the exalted title under my name, I'm just another member. Although hanging around here, I probably have a better than average understanding of how the calendar works.

Someone might be thinking of the old LUWS calendar where anyone could request an event. But a admin still had to approve it. In the new system, anyone can request a calendar, but unless an admin approves it, it still won't go anywhere.

Only the Bishopric (including clerks and Executive secretary) has rights to change anything - until they add other admins and editors. So it's not quite the free-for-all that some may imagine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ahancey

Post by ahancey »

russelhltn, I'm confused about two different posts you made.
russellhltn wrote:Correct. Unless there is a restriction on that building, any ward can schedule any building. Just keep in mind that in your example, the Bishop A is going to have to get someone to open Building B for him. Just because it's on the calendar doesn't mean someone will show up and open the door.
and

russellhltn wrote:
ahancey wrote:But that isn't possible, right? They can only view their own ward?
Each member can only view their ward and stake. The bishopric has full admin rights to calendars in their ward. Others only receive edit rights as added by an admin. Typically, that would only be leaders in the ward.
So my question is, can a Bishop see and add an event in another building in the stake .. that is not the stake center?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ahancey wrote:So my question is, can a Bishop see and add an event in another building in the stake .. that is not the stake center?
I think you are confusing calendar and building. The bishop can only see the calendar for his ward, but he can use it to schedule any building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ahancey

Post by ahancey »

russellhltn wrote:
ahancey wrote:So my question is, can a Bishop see and add an event in another building in the stake .. that is not the stake center?
I think you are confusing calendar and building. The bishop can only see the calendar for his ward, but he can use it to schedule any building.
So he can schedule a building using the 'Location' dropdown menu. That makes sense. It's too bad that the Bishops can't see the blocks of time that are scheduled on the other calendars in other buildings (not the specifics).
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Click on the "week view" and make sure all the buildings are selected on the lower left side. I can see what is scheduled in all the buildings in the Stake.

But not in the "month view"
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:
ahancey wrote:It's too bad that the Bishops can't see the blocks of time that are scheduled on the other calendars in other buildings (not the specifics).
Click on the "week view" and make sure all the buildings are selected on the lower left side. I can see what is scheduled in all the buildings in the Stake.

But not in the "month view"
Note that what TinMan is describing here has nothing to do with being a bishop. Every member of the stake can use this technique to see what events and restrictions are happening in any building.

Events on private calendars won't show the details (unless you happen to be an editor for that private calendar), but you'll be able to see the time that is blocked out even for private events.
ahancey

Post by ahancey »

aebrown wrote: Note that what TinMan is describing here has nothing to do with being a bishop. Every member of the stake can use this technique to see what events and restrictions are happening in any building.
Obviously the stake has to set up the calendars differently than my stake has done since I can only see the stake center and my building in the lower left corner, in the Locations menu.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ahancey wrote:
aebrown wrote:Note that what TinMan is describing here has nothing to do with being a bishop. Every member of the stake can use this technique to see what events and restrictions are happening in any building.
Obviously the stake has to set up the calendars differently than my stake has done since I can only see the stake center and my building in the lower left corner, in the Locations menu.
I should have said "any building that the stake has enabled for scheduling." It is true that stake members can only see locations that have been enabled. But there's no connection between you and your building; it just happens that your building and the stake center are the only ones that your stake administrators have enabled for scheduling. Members of your stake who attend other buildings will also see only your building and the stake center.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Correct. So once your stake administrator sets up all the buildings in your stake so that the calendars can be used, then you (and all the bishops you mentioned) will be able to see what members in other buildings are scheduling.

Return to “Calendar”