Friend of LDS accounts calendar access

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
godoe

Friend of LDS accounts calendar access

Post by godoe »

So I am a non-church member who is volunteering in scout troop 611 in the Kirkland 1st ward. My son has friends who are in the troop so here we are. I'm a member of a covenant church and play drums for the worship band there. The ward has decided to use the "cool" LDS calendar to schedule events now. I signed up for a "friend of LDS" account but there was no place to enter what ward I'm "attached" to. So when I load the calendar it just sits there saying "loading" and does nothing. I saw some posts about "entering an "out of" in the MLS and giving them a standard calling" - is that what they need to do with me? Or am I out of luck? THANKS. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Friend of LDS accounts calendar access

Post by russellhltn »

Sorry, But at this time there's no way to grant non-members access to the calendar system. The procedure for out-of-unit leader only works for members serving in a different unit.

The ward will need to find another way of getting word to the non-members of the group.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tstrickland1

Post by tstrickland1 »

It's been almost 2 years since this reply. Has there been any update or change?
Thank You.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tstrickland1 wrote:It's been almost 2 years since this reply. Has there been any update or change?
No. There has been no change to the calendar system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

Our troop also has non-member scouts and parents. We use the lds calendar to schedule events, but the troop has also started a Facebook private group to include our non-member friends and make sure they have access to information. It is not ideal, but it works and it has helped having an access point that everyone can view. (The lds.org calendar is still useful as well as we use it to make sure the building is reserved when needed.)
jdunham1

Post by jdunham1 »

This thread seems to be the most in line with a question I have. I am a non-member Unit Commissioner working with a Branch in our Stake. I see that there are planning tools for Scouting that can be used for Branch's calendar, but that's as far as I can go. I understand the algorithm used to validate member ID in the system (=0 base function), and that a non-member can be issued identified number for Ward clerks to track tithing slips, ect. Non-member numbers would be based off of the Ward/Branch unit number plus four. Example would be if Anytown Ward's id is 1234567. Then the non-member's id would be 1234567-XXXX.

Here is the question. If a non-member is serving as an ASM or as a committee member, and said non-member was recorded in the clerks office with a non-member id. Would he/she then be able to access the calendar for that Ward or Branch? I'm not seeing were someone has tried that and it not work.

I ask, because I am helping a Branch strengthen their members new callings and aid their ability to better support the Troop.

Thank you
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdunham1 wrote:I understand the algorithm used to validate member ID in the system (=0 base function), and that a non-member can be issued identified number for Ward clerks to track tithing slips, ect. Non-member numbers would be based off of the Ward/Branch unit number plus four. Example would be if Anytown Ward's id is 1234567. Then the non-member's id would be 1234567-XXXX.
I'm not sure what system is being referred to, but that sounds like back when we could add non-members to MLS (our membership tracking system).

We can no longer do that, so that's no longer an option.

We can add non-members who donate into the financial side to track their donations, but that's as far as that goes. Those records won't tie into anything else.

jdunham1

Post by jdunham1 »

That's slightly disappointing. If we don't ask. Then we don't learn. Which is a bigger disappointment.

Return to “Calendar”