Building scheduler role

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
1968leocomeeatabite

Re: Building scheduler role

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Attempting to call the Building Scheduler a "assistant calendar editor", just doesn't work. A Calendar Editor has no authority over that position and they can't assign tasks to them.
Thank you! I see what you are saying and it makes a lot of sense and I agree.

So if the goal is, to take away the confusion and give the Building scheduler responsibilities a situation that will function but might not be so visible. What if the role was taken away as far as the help section was concerned in the section where the 4 different roles are explained. You give that responsibility to the Stake Administrator or a Ward administrator (agent ward) and in a section of the help connected to scheduling an event you explain the process that a reviewer (Stake or Ward Administrator) (current building scheduler rights) can help the editor as certain criteria occurs. I have limited knowledge of course, but the idea is to get this role more hidden and covered or in a more realistic light for the concepts already express in this thread and many others threads about the struggle with building scheduler. Thank you It just seems like the only way to deal with this, as many others have expressed, is to get rid or make it less visible in the program. Maybe take the position away but keep the feature and give it more of a process than a calling or title.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:What if the role was taken away as far as the help section was concerned in the section where the 4 different roles are explained.
That's a documentation question. I'm open to changes there, but I'm not sure as hiding it will help people understand the change.

This brings us back full circle to the start of this thread. It looked like Jed was going to be updating things, but he hasn't posted since he started this thread. I hope we haven't scared him off.

There are a number of tasks that can be added to the building scheduler role, such as scheduling private events. But that falls under how the stakes want to organize themselves as opposed to dictated by policy or the way the software works.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

aebrown wrote: I think it's confusing to say that a building scheduler supervises/manages editors, just as it is confusing to say that a building scheduler assists editors.
Thank you both russellhltn and aebrown. I agree with your points. I stand corrected.

But as far as progressing with the renaming of the building scheduler.
take the position away but keep the feature and give it more of a process than a calling or title.
That's a documentation question. I'm open to changes there, but I'm not sure as hiding it will help people understand the change.
I guess at this point a change like that you would want to consider the---What would happen if we did this---
But even if the building scheduler role was taken from the 4 roles in the help section and then give it another name and insert it at a different place in the help section. I am thinking that would give it a desired effect.
1968leocomeeatabite

The attachment below
ORGANIZING A STRUCTURE TO IMPLEMENT AND MAINTAIN THE CORRECT USE OF THE LDS.docx
Flow chart/model of 1 way to implement the Calendar
(36.71 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
is of my own making. It is a word document. It is my effort to communicate the implementation of the lds.org calendar into the Stake. I post it here to show one way of dealing with the role of the building Scheduler. your comments are welcome and encouraged. Maybe I will post it in another place to see if it will stimulate some discussion of the title of my document.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Your model described in the document states the ward calendar coordinator "chedules events and pubishes calendar as needed" and at the same time states there are ward calendar editors. Giving the role of calendar editor to the ward calendar coordinator for all calendars falls back to the old single point of scheduling model used for paper scheduling. At the same time your model is promoting the current distributed scheduling model used by the online Calendar. Using both models together will most likely confuse, or be confusing to, ward members. Some will hold on to the old, and outdated, single point of scheduling model while others may try to use the new distributed scheduling model. Unfortunately the old and outdated single point of scheduling may dominate because that is what members have been use to using for so long before the current online Calendar was deployed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Giving the role of calendar editor to the ward calendar coordinator for all calendars falls back to the old single point of scheduling model used for paper scheduling. At the same time your model is promoting the current distributed scheduling model used by the online Calendar.
I'd suggest changing the wording to "chedules events and publishes calendar to the extent not handled by the other calendar editors".

That is, I can it happening both way depending on computer sills, availability and comfort level of the various auxiliaries.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

Thank you, excellent comments! I will consider how to say it more correctly and then edit it accordingly. I greatly appreciate the input of the last two post!
1968leocomeeatabite

It has been many months (since last post), but here we are into the fall of the year, and beginning to prepare for next year and many calendar events. Here is another attachment similar to the one above but made some changes. One change is that this model the role of the building scheduler is given to a Stake administrator.
Again please give me your feed back. We are again getting ready to train the wards on how to implement the calendar.
Attachments
No_building _scheduler.docx
(37.04 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
1968leocomeeatabite

This attachment is simalar to the last one but gives options for a couple of different ways for the building scheduler to function. again please feel free to give your comments and suggestions.
Attachments
Options_for bldg_scheduler.docx
(37.35 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

No.docx:

lds.org is misspelled.

No mention of calendar layers at the stake level. I'd expect the stake-level responsibility to largely mirror what is stated at the ward level.

Options.docx:

No mention of calendar layers at the stake level. I'd expect the stake-level responsibility to largely mirror what is stated at the ward level.

---------

No mention is made of what do do about private events.

I'd like to see more emphasis made on organizing the calendar so that the layers work for the members. Use the calendar system and it's sync to keep the ward notified of events. Rather than focusing on building scheduling as the driving force, focus on notifying members and the building scheduling comes with it.

Return to “Calendar”