Building scheduler role

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
1968leocomeeatabite

Re: Building scheduler role

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

---there are other ways to solve this problem than turning building schedulers into calendar editors. I would hope that the new help documents and training will reflect this.
It is good to see some activity going on concerning the role of the Building Scheduler! I am of the opinion the title of “Building Scheduler” is not descriptive and should be changed to something else. I have not really come up with a good title. The name of referee, or restrictions implementer, might get some ideas going? I am sure that many of you could come up with a much better descriptive name.
1968leocomeeatabite

The roles of the “Building Scheduler” as I have learned through many of the post on the forum are basically used one of 2 ways:

1. Called as a “Building Scheduler”, probably by the agent bishop. (probably someone in the agent bishops ward) The Stake Administrator enters them into the system and gives them an assigned building. Is then given training and supervision one of two ways; the agent bishop or the Stake administrator which might be titled the “Stake Calendar Coordinator” or both.

2. No one is called as the “Building Scheduler”. The building scheduler rights are given to a Stake Administrator (probably the Stake Calendar Coordinator) and the building scheduler duties are performed by this person.

Question: Are there any other ways that a building scheduler duty could be achieved? That would not be an abuse or incorrect way of using the system?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I have not really come up with a good title. The name of referee, or restrictions implementer, might get some ideas going? I am sure that many of you could come up with a much better descriptive name.
Perhaps Building Scheduling Manager. Building Manager might work, but it tends to suggest a role too much like the Physical Facilities Representative. I add "Manger" as a way of communicating "overseer" rather than "doer". Although Building Scheduling Supervisor could work too.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I am of the opinion the title of “Building Scheduler” is not descriptive and should be changed to something else. I have not really come up with a good title. The name of referee, or restrictions implementer, might get some ideas going? I am sure that many of you could come up with a much better descriptive name.
The key, I think, is to come up with a title that doesn't promise too much. The term "Building Scheduler" implies people in this role will schedule the building, when they do no such thing. The term "Manager" or "Supervisor" implies that building schedulers have some authority over other people, which they do not.

Although my stake uses the term "Coordinator" in a different way, perhaps something along those lines would work. That word doesn't imply any direct-line authority over other people, but it does imply that he or she works with others, which is certainly the case. Perhaps something like "Arbitrator" or "Mediator" could work, but that doesn't say much about the role of creating restrictions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:The term "Manager" or "Supervisor" implies that building schedulers have some authority over other people, which they do not.
They do have authority over the building and the events that take place there.

I'm not sure as "coordinator" is an improvement as it still suggests them as a "go to" person where "manager" or "supervisor" suggests to me that things should be handled some other way before going to them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

They do have authority over the building and the events that take place there.
If I understand it correctly they do have authority to make the restrictions for the ward assigned. But that direction is coming from the agent bishop and or the Stake leadership. Also the building scheduler can edit existing events that a calendar editor has already established. Which is fairly authoritative. BUT I THINK THAT THIS NEEDS TO BE DOWNPLAYED and give the building scheduler a minimal role as far as the descriptive title he has should suggest. Therefore in an effort to change the feeling that one gets which In my opinion what needs to happen, I propose that we move in a direction that suggests the building scheduler is an assistant to a calendar editor. That is the goal of the calendar to have the calendar editors be in charge of the calendar. Where as the building scheduler is there to assist in the smooth transition of conflicts or future know assignments of building and rooms, which is a duty with very little to do.

So again in my very humble un-experience opinion, I am suggesting the title might go in the direction of assistant calendar editor. Does this imply that we want the editors to have the feeling that they are in-charge of the happenings of the unit, and that the building scheduler is there to help them if something goes wrong. (Give them relief if they forgot to do there job or someone was a little reckless and got aggressive.)

So my opinion is developing here, maybe a long title might describe it as assistant calendar editor reviewer. or calendar reviewer. Reviewer is somewhat of a synonym of referee or arbitrator. So reviewer kinda gives the ideas of a judge that will review the case or conflict and make a decision to make all parties happy. maybe from that we could go with editor review. Now maybe we are transitioning to not a title or calling but the process of what happens editor review.

"Editor Review" could it take away all the confusion? Could it give the feeling of: Here is the process that has been put in place to help me get my calendar events scheduled in good order, so if I do my part all will work and the activities will go smooth. It does not seem to describe a person but a process which just might do the trick. What do you guys think?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I am suggesting the title might go in the direction of assistant calendar editor.
The problem with that is it inverts the authority level. And that's not correct.

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:Reviewer is somewhat of a synonym of referee or arbitrator.
I like Building Schedule Arbitrator. It's descriptive in that the responsibility is still the building schedule, not the individual unit schedule. And it implies that there should be a step prior to going to the arbitrator.

1968leocomeeatabite

The problem with that is it inverts the authority level. And that's not correct.
Would you explain.

What is wrong with giving the role of the building schedule very little authority? Are we talking how each one of us view it or is there something that I do not understand? Could it be that the problem is in how the perception of this authority lies?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:
1968leocomeeatabite wrote:I am suggesting the title might go in the direction of assistant calendar editor.
Would you explain.
Every time I've see a position called "assistant XYZ", then they exist to assist the person with the title of "XYZ". "XYZ" has full authority over the assistant and decides what tasks they are given.

Attempting to call the Building Scheduler a "assistant calendar editor", just doesn't work. A Calendar Editor has no authority over that position and they can't assign tasks to them. It could be argued that the Building Scheduler has superior rights to a Ward Calendar Editor. If true, then the "assistant XYZ" has more power than "XYZ". That's what I meant by inverting the authority level.

I'm not comfortable calling them a "Calender Editor Supervisor" or "Trainer". Certainly that function can be added, but it's not the core role of the Building Scheduler. Their core role is to manage the scheduling of the building between multiple units.

Building Coordinator is a accurate description, but I'm concerned that it's not a big enough break from "Scheduler" to change people's thinking. But I guess it's an improvement over trying to convince people that a old position has a new role.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:
Would you explain.
I don't think it's at all correct to say that it inverts the authority level. In many ways, a calendar editor has more power than a building scheduler -- after all, an editor can create an event, but a building scheduler cannot.

But I also disagree with calling a building scheduler is an "assistant calendar editor"; a building editor is certainly not below a calendar editor. Generally an "assistant" to a person has a subset of the authority that the person has. That's not the case here.

Building Scheduler and Calendar Editor are mostly distinct roles. There's a small amount of overlap in the ability to edit existing events, but I think it's confusing to say that a building scheduler supervises/manages editors, just as it is confusing to say that a building scheduler assists editors.

Return to “Calendar”