trying to add restriction

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: trying to add restriction

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:Specifying a different start and end date means you are specifying an event that lasts two days.
Right. It's a two-day "all day" event.

I don't think it's repeating. Unless I'm reading it wrong, he's describing the event that seems to be blocking his repeating restriction.
Well, we can wait for slmoyer to weigh in. But he said: "Usually when I do repeating events I use the same date as the start and end dates, then put in the repeating information. I don't use different dates as they did."

But why would he be talking about doing repeating events with the same start and end date as opposed to the different dates, unless that event for October 14-15 somehow repeated?
slmoyer

Post by slmoyer »

You guys are right. It's a two-day "all day" event, they didn't put any repeating information there, I said that part wrong.

However, I still am unable to add my repeating restriction. That is the only event on the calendar that I can see which would be in the way. I was told in a earlier post that repeating restrictions shouldn't interfere with events already on the calendar. So, I'm still on square one. What do I do?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

If your restriction is not for the entire building, here's a workaround I've used:
  1. Take note of exactly which rooms the event uses.
  2. Edit the event to use some room not involved with the restriction.
  3. Create the restriction with your repeating rule.
  4. Edit the event to use the correct rooms again.
It's when you do step 3 that you will find out if it's truly that event that is causing the problem.

Another variation that can work even if your restriction is for the entire building is to move the event to a different date range (perhaps to 2016 or some other safe date). Then move it back to the correct date after you successfully create the restriction.

Return to “Calendar”