Modifying Layer names without loosing data.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
DMuir
New Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Modifying Layer names without loosing data.

Postby DMuir » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Can the various layers of the calendar be modified to communicate the intent of the layer without loosing all the events currently posted to that layer being changed?

As we try to make the calendar work and communicate correctly, we find that some layers need to be deleted and some need to be re-labeled. What is the most effective way to accomplish this without destroying everyones "subscriptions" when the name changes?

Same issue is occuring when we need to delete a standard room name and create a new custom room name that is very similar, can we view all events in a room prior to deleting the room, so that we can then reconnect those events to a correctly named room? (We have had three standard named rooms that in our building could be the exact same room.)

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Re: Modifying Layer names without loosing data.

Postby jdlessley » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:21 pm

DMuir wrote:Can the various layers of the calendar be modified to communicate the intent of the layer without loosing all the events currently posted to that layer being changed?

Each calendar name can be edited as well as the description. This does not affect any of the events scheduled on that calendar.

DMuir wrote:As we try to make the calendar work and communicate correctly, we find that some layers need to be deleted and some need to be re-labeled. What is the most effective way to accomplish this without destroying everyones "subscriptions" when the name changes?

Renaming a calendar does not affect subscriptions. The subscription is tied to the calendar regardless of the calendar's name.

Deleting a calendar cancels all subscritions to that calendar.

DMuir wrote:Same issue is occuring when we need to delete a standard room name and create a new custom room name that is very similar, can we view all events in a room prior to deleting the room, so that we can then reconnect those events to a correctly named room?

This is a difficult issue that has had a similar topic of discussion in another thread. Viewing only events scheduled using a specific resource/room at a location is not possible. You would have to go through each event to see what resources/rooms are scheduled.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20763
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Modifying Layer names without loosing data.

Postby russellhltn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:23 pm

DMuir wrote:Can the various layers of the calendar be modified to communicate the intent of the layer without loosing all the events currently posted to that layer being changed?

I believe you can rename the calendar. But some have reported problems with that.


DMuir wrote:What is the most effective way to accomplish this without destroying everyones "subscriptions" when the name changes?

I'm not sure what happens to subscriptions. I'd think they'd be linked by ID, not necessarily the displayed name. So I don't think renaming is a issue.


DMuir wrote:Same issue is occurring when we need to delete a standard room name and create a new custom room name that is very similar, can we view all events in a room prior to deleting the room, so that we can then reconnect those events to a correctly named room? (We have had three standard named rooms that in our building could be the exact same room.)

That - I don't think there's an easy answer. Just have to slog though it manually. With building scheduler rights you can see and edit all events taking place at that building. You can then add the custom rooms. Using week view with only that building listed, look and edit all events to use the new names. Then delete the rooms no longer being used. It may sound ugly, but I'll bet you can get it done in a few hours.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest