Times for events are moving around on the e-calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Times for events are moving around on the e-calendar

Post by aebrown »

nancypalemany wrote:There is a reoccurring event every Tuesday from 6 - 7 pm. On her calendar it appears to be scheduled for 4pm, on my calendar and on the calendars of at least 3 other people I have managed to contact today, it shows correctly as starting at 6 pm. I am wondering if there is some "bug" in the Stake Relief Society President's calendar. In this case, the time jumped backwards and not forwards. Any thoughts?
It's good that you checked the time on her computer, but you really need to check the time zone of her computer. Since you are in Texas, I'm guessing you are in the Central Time Zone. With the evidence you've given, it seems certain that the RS President's time zone is set to Pacific time. It's 4pm in California when it's 6pm in Texas, which is why she sees that event as starting at 4pm. So make sure she changes her time zone to Central, and then adjusts the time to be correct.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nancypalemany wrote:My STS is the Regional STS, not just the stake Calendar Admin
I doubt if he has any additional powers to help. At best he may have admin rights to regional calendars.

nancypalemany wrote:I checked the RS Pres time on her home computer this afternoon - it was identical to mine,
Just to re-emphasize, it's not the time but the time zone that's critical. Some people just set the time and don't pay attention to the time zone.

nancypalemany wrote:One other thing, she is not seeing events correctly on her screen. Let me explain - I have a private events calendar on which I am able to put weddings, funerals, recitals and other events that do not belong to a particular ward or the stake. There is a reoccurring event every Tuesday from 6 - 7 pm. On her calendar it appears to be scheduled for 4pm, on my calendar and on the calendars of at least 3 other people I have managed to contact today, it shows correctly as starting at 6 pm.
All completely consistent with a wrong time zone on her computer.

I'll bet if you have her visit http://pellepim.bitbucket.org/jstz/ from her computer, she will see something different then you do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:With the evidence you've given, it seems certain that the RS President's time zone is set to Pacific time.
Which if memory serves me right, may be the default on some new computers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

nancypalemany wrote:On her calendar it appears to be scheduled for 4pm, on my calendar and on the calendars of at least 3 other people I have managed to contact today, it shows correctly as starting at 6 pm. I am wondering if there is some "bug" in the Stake Relief Society President's calendar. In this case, the time jumped backwards and not forwards. Any thoughts?
What does the calendar look like when you logon the calendar using the SRSP computer.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:What does the calendar look like when you logon the calendar using the SRSP computer.
That should quickly settle if this is a computer problem, or something with the account.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Another thought: Compare the times on church-wide events. You'll know they are correct on the calendar as they are entered by CHQ. It's just a question of how they'll display on the computer in question.

NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

Gentlemen, Thank you for your suggestions, You were correct. The SRSP had just upgraded to a new operating system a couple of weeks ago when the problems with the calendar first began. Although her external clock was set for central time, there was an internal clock that was set for Atlantic time (2 hours ahead). Thanks for your help.

Return to “Calendar”