Possible Bug With Restrictions

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
EarloftheWest

Possible Bug With Restrictions

Post by EarloftheWest »

I've had an interesting situation show up.

Ward A scheduled a reservation/restriction from 1-3:30 PM on October 26th for building resources.

Ward B scheduled an event on the 26th of October from 4-5:30 PM with setup 4 hours prior and cleanup 30 minutes afterwards.

Ward B should have received a notification of a conflict but they didn't.

It appears to me that the setup/cleanup of an event isn't being respected by the reservation/restriction system as it should.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Possible Bug With Restrictions

Post by aebrown »

I've never seen this, and I just tested it and it showed the conflict as expected, even though the event I created was during only the time of the Setup (it did not conflict with the actual event).

Are you sure your Event specified at least one of the same rooms in the same building as the Restriction?
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

I've included screenshots below showing the conflict.

Below is the restriction.
CC.jpg
Restriction
(60.9 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Below is the event.
CF.jpg
Event
(64.01 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
They are both still active in our calendar.
My building person said they put the restriction in first but it may have been the other way around.
Thanks for looking at this.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

EarloftheWest wrote:I've included screenshots below showing the conflict.

Below is the restriction.
CC.jpg
Below is the event.
CF.jpg
They are both still active in our calendar.
My building person said they put the restriction in first but it may have been the other way around.
Thanks for looking at this.
Did a building scheduler enter the event? If so, that's the problem. Building schedulers automatically override any restriction.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

EarloftheWest wrote:My building person said they put the restriction in first but it may have been the other way around.
In addition to what eblood66 said, restrictions can be placed on top of "conflicting" events.

Also, from what part of the title I can see, it's clear that the restriction is scheduling an activity, not simply setting aside a block of time for Ward A to schedule events. So in my view, the biggest problem is the misuse of the restriction function. This is the kinds of problems you can have when that happens. What should have happened is that the party was scheduled as an event. Perhaps placed on a private "Private party" calendar so that it wasn't visible to the whole ward or get confused with ward events. Only an event will secure the building for that function and prevent conflicts. Although restrictions appears to work, there's too many "ifs" "ands" and "buts" to prevent problems. The proper use of Restrictions is to set aside Tuesday as "Ward A's night" to block other wards from scheduling events. But that has to be done prior to the calendar year getting entered.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I agree with russell there is no need to schedule a restriction under this scenario an event was all that was needed.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

Did a building scheduler enter the event? If so, that's the problem. Building schedulers automatically override any restriction.
I didn't know that this was the case. Thank you for bringing it up.
The Bishop of the scheduled the event so it appears that he has building scheduler rights.
I agree that the restriction should have been scheduled as an event. We are having ongoing training on this.
It appears that too many people with building schedule rights cause issues.
We'll have to review our rights for our building.
Thanks for everyone's help. It appears that the mystery is solved.
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix broken quote tag
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EarloftheWest wrote:The Bishop of the scheduled the event so it appears that he has building scheduler rights.
It appears that too many people with building schedule rights cause issues.
A bishop has administrator rights, but should generally not need (or have) the building scheduler assignment. So I think you're wise to review who has building scheduler rights and greatly limit the number of people who have those rights.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

EarloftheWest wrote:I agree that the restriction should have been scheduled as an event. We are having ongoing training on this.
Usually restrictions are used because by default the only right/tool a building scheduler might find they have is a restriction. Editing rights or admin rights are needed to schedule an event.
EarloftheWest wrote:It appears that too many people with building schedule rights cause issues.
Indeed. I'd limit it to one, perhaps one with a backup. Handing out that right to every ward defeats the entire purpose of a restriction.

As for training, you may want use the graphic I created in the Guide to Using Calendar thread. Lines 3 and 4 are of interest.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

I chatted with both the Bishop and the building reservation/restriction person today about the conflict.
The Bishop said that he scheduled the event 4 weeks ago. The building reservation/restriction person created the building reservation about 3 weeks ago.
As a test, I created a reservation on top of a Ward event (in the past so as to not cause any real conflict) and it let me create the reservation/restriction. I did not receive a warning telling me that there was a conflict with a scheduled event. I would have expected such a warning.
Thank you for everyone's feedback. It has been very useful and the information you've shared is being put to good use throughout our Stake.

Return to “Calendar”