Adding Events to the November 2014 Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rbunker

Adding Events to the November 2014 Calendar

Post by rbunker »

I've encountered an odd problem when posting events to our Stake Calendar for November 2014. Items that are an "All Day Event" are displayed on the day before the date assigned in the "Create Event" process. This doesn't occur with events that have specified Start and End times (they appear on the correct date) and it only occurs in the month of November. Months before and after November 2014 display both timed and all day events correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Robert Bunker
St Paul Minnesota Stake Executive Secretary
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Adding Events to the November 2014 Calendar

Post by lajackson »

rbunker wrote:I've encountered an odd problem when posting events to our Stake Calendar for November 2014. Items that are an "All Day Event" are displayed on the day before the date assigned in the "Create Event" process. This doesn't occur with events that have specified Start and End times (they appear on the correct date) and it only occurs in the month of November. Months before and after November 2014 display both timed and all day events correctly.
Daylight Saving Time ends in November. Read about the ongoing saga here and in other places. In short, Calendar thinks your all day events begin at 11:00 pm on the preceding day.
rbunker

Post by rbunker »

So I can assume that the calendar fix made for November 2013 will be made to November 2014 soon?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Oh, how I wish that were true. But the reality is that the only thing we can do is send feedback and hope they get to it.

To their credit, the Calendar folks actually do read this forum from time to time and pick up on things like this. Still, there is no guarantee they will, and a note through Feedback is certainly warranted.

I am not sure why there is a problem each year. The "fix" must be something manual they do to tinker with the software settings. I suppose, but I do not know.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rbunker wrote:So I can assume that the calendar fix made for November 2013 will be made to November 2014 soon?
From your lips to the manager's ear.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
judson.wooters

Post by judson.wooters »

Just curious if there's an estimated ETA for this fix.
melva285676

Re: Events shown in week view when not selected

Post by melva285676 »

I created an event for Nov. 17, 2014 but it posts the event on Nov. 16, 2014. I tried creating it on the 18th and it posted it on the 17th. There must be a bug in the system for that month because it is an event that happens 8 months out of the year and I did not have a problem with any of the other months.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Events shown in week view when not selected

Post by russellhltn »

melva285676 wrote:I created an event for Nov. 17, 2014 but it posts the event on Nov. 16, 2014. I tried creating it on the 18th and it posted it on the 17th.
Are these all day events?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rbunker

Post by rbunker »

Yes, three of them after November 3: "High Council Speaking Assignment," "Bishops PPIs" and "Thanksgiving Day."
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It is most probably because of daylight saving time. It appears that the "fix" has to be accomplished again each year in November, when daylight saving time ends. Frustrating. If you have the event go from 3:00 am to 9:00 pm (or something similar), it will still list first on the correct day, although it will not show as an all day event. But it is a poor workaround for a problem that seems to be elusive for the last several years.

Return to “Calendar”