Bishop Appointment blocked because room is required

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Bishop Appointment blocked because room is required

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:This way when someone needs to see when and where ward council is they see its in the Bishops office.
1) Where else would it be? I don't see that information as being very helpful except for someone new to the calling.
2) How does the text in "Other Location" and/or description not suffice?
The benefits seem limited.

While they may not be able to carry out their schedule, having others think they can schedule the Bishop's office is bad enough, not to mention messing things up when they do. It also becomes subject to "entire building" problems.

One thing I did do was to create the stake High Council room as a separate building. That way it can be scheduled for all the various meetings that do take place there (not all of them involving the High Council), and it's not subject to "entire building" problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:1) Where else would it be?
You would think this would not be a problem, but at one time I lived in a ward where the ward council met in the Relief Society room because the bishop's office was too small for everyone. Even the PEC barely fit. We usually moved that meeting to another classroom, as well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Actually, my point is that those meetings are typically in the same place every time. For most wards, it would be like asking which room the Sacrament meeting will be held in.

If the room keeps changing depending on the number of people at that particular meeting (Ward Council, Ward Correlation, PEC, etc.), then I can see it being useful. But even if it is needed, it can be done without creating a location for it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TerryDM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TerryDM »

There is a reason we did not include these type of resources in the default list of resources within a building. The system was designed to allow member who are calendar editors (generally group presidency, etc) to schedule events in a facility without having to call the building schedule.

Remember that the application must work for 1000's of people throughout the world and what works for one unit may not work for many other units of the church. For this reason, we have tried to designed flexibility into the system. Just because a feature is present does not mean it is intended for use in every situation.

Rooms that are dedicated to a specific purpose (meaning an room that only a specific group or individual has access to, or in other words its locked, i.e. Bishops office, Stake Presidencies offices, etc) should rarely be add as a resource within a building as the general membership of the unit does not have open access to the space. The one exception is possibility the High Council room, but that all depends on the Stake President's view on its use.

As for scheduling the Bishop's schedule, you can always use the "Other location" option and type "Bishop's Office" in the text field it that is really important to you.

If people are scheduling the entire facility and should not be, then there may needs to be some training to help them understand how facilities to be scheduled (Entire facility vs. specific resources, etc). Just seeing comments on this thread about having the entire facility scheduled improperly should be enough to scare anyone from including private offices in the available resources that can be scheduled. If improper scheduling is occurring what make us think that we will not have members improperly scheduling private spaces like the Bishop's office.

Return to “Calendar”