OSX 10.8.4, Calendar syncing just plain doesn't work

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: OSX 10.8.4, Calendar syncing just plain doesn't work

Post by russellhltn »

Try this: Paste the calendar sync URL into your browser. You should be rewarded with a downloaded file.

If you don't get the file, then either the server isn't working, or it's been less then 9 minutes since the last attempt to use that URL by any device. Troubleshoot accordingly.

If you do get the file, make sure it has a valid extension (such as iCal) and then feed it to your calendar application of choice. Does it take it?

The above is a manual two-step process for what should be done automatically. But by doing it manually we'll have some idea where the problem is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

Okay that kind of worked but since it doesn't synch it won't keep current.

Here is what happened when I tried that:

First when I go to the Apple iCal tab the initial URL never works and when I ask for a new url it forces me to log in again. - the solution is to select Generate new synch URL before doing anything else. When I copy the new synch URL into a new web page it downloads it and automatically prompts me to add that to a current calendar - so you need to have already created a blank calendar to put it into. That worked to get the current events into the calendar but doesn't solve the synch issue for future events - I would have manually synch every week.
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

Okay I just went back to one of my test synch calendars and now it seems to be working but the calendar still warns that it is not able to refresh but it seems to be working automatically - weird. I will monitor this and see if continues to to auto synch correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mbsteed wrote:Okay I just went back to one of my test synch calendars and now it seems to be working but the calendar still warns that it is not able to refresh but it seems to be working automatically - weird. I will monitor this and see if continues to to auto synch correctly.
Remember, if the app attempts to sync within 9 minutes after the last use of the URL, it will get a blank file. That may be why it can't "refresh".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mbsteed

Post by mbsteed »

It synched once but fails to continue synching new items. I have set it to synch every day from Apple Calendar. Made changes to the LDS calendar Sunday but no updates on my synched calendar on Apple Calendar yet.

Return to “Calendar”