Error in file upload

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
sweenig

Error in file upload

Post by sweenig »

I was tasked with migrating our list of events in an excel spreadsheet to our newly created quorum calendar. I created an ICS using v1.0 syntax of iCal (since it took less time to understand than the more complex v2.0 syntax). However, when I try to upload it using Chrome or IE9, i get 'file upload error' (in Chrome) or 'we encountered an error with your ICS file. You may need to create a new ICS file, or try again later.' in IE9. I guess since there are no listed known issues around importing ICS files that my format is wrong. So, two questions: Does the import support v1.0 of iCal? If so, can anybody spot anything wrong with my syntax (I've simplified it down to 2 events since the entire calendar has almost 50 events)?

Code: Select all

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:1.0
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20130611T233000Z
DTEND:20130611T233000Z
SUMMARY:Ward Council Visits
DESCRIPTION:LEADER:Stuart Weenig. 
END:VEVENT
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20130616T160000Z
DTEND:20130616T170000Z
SUMMARY:Lesson: Ch 11
DESCRIPTION:LEADER:Kyle Hyer. 
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR
sweenig

Re: Error in file upload

Post by sweenig »

Well, I saw a workaround on the internet and tried it and it worked. I imported my ICS to my Google calendar, then exported the ICS from Google calendar and imported it. My guess is that the lds.org ICS importer doesn't support v1.0 syntax. Too bad.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Actually, there's no problem using the iCal 1.0 format.

The problem is that your file is missing the UID entry for each of your VEVENT entries. At least I was able to add:

UID:x

to each of your VEVENT entries (I added it just before the END:VEVENT) and it worked fine.

Now I'm certainly not saying that your iCal file is invalid (it is definitely valid) or that you did something wrong. I don't know why the import function gives an error when the UID is not present (the iCal standard certainly doesn't require it, and even when I supplied the same UID value for every event, the import worked fine). But that does seem to be the only thing I had to change in order to get your iCal data to import.
sweenig

Post by sweenig »

That's one of the reasons I used v1.0 because the standard for v1.0 doesn't require a UID. Ok, good to know.

Return to “Calendar”