Google Calendar and LDS Calendar Sync

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
wsplawn

Google Calendar and LDS Calendar Sync

Post by wsplawn »

I have been able to get LDS Calendar to sync into Google Calendar and it seems to work pretty well, but I have a few questions.

It is not clear to me how often Google Calendar gets updated with LDS Calendar Stuff. At one point I read something that indicated it might be once a day. Elsewhere it was indicated that the time can be set explicitly and warned not to have it happen any sooner than every 9 minutes. But I do not know how to get things to update Explicitly. How do you do this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Google Calendar and LDS Calendar Sync

Post by aebrown »

wsplawn wrote:It is not clear to me how often Google Calendar gets updated with LDS Calendar Stuff. At one point I read something that indicated it might be once a day.
I don't know exactly how often Google Calendar syncs with its external calendars. But it is certain that Google Calendar controls how often it chooses to pull information from the Calendar on LDS.org; it's impossible to do anything on the LDS.org side to control this.

I use Google Calendar, and I don't believe there is any way to control how often Google Calendar syncs. It does it when it does it. The only way you have to force an update is to generate a new sync URL in the LDS.org calendar and then add that calendar URL to your Google Calendar. But that's way too much hassle for normal use.
wsplawn wrote:Elsewhere it was indicated that the time can be set explicitly and warned not to have it happen any sooner than every 9 minutes.
I'm pretty sure that any discussion of setting the time explicitly would have been a comment about email programs in general. Some email programs let you control the sync frequency, but as I said above, I don't think that applies to Google.
wsplawn

Post by wsplawn »

Thank you for responding.

Do you have a rough idea of how often things get updated? Is it one day, two days...???
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe that Google requests the update about once a day.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

For me the sync update is once a day usually around 1am. At least that when my cell phone goes off with a message that there is a new event on my calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wsplawn wrote:Do you have a rough idea of how often things get updated? Is it one day, two days...???
The official Google answer is here: "every few hours."

Return to “Calendar”