v2.5 select visible calendars issue

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: v2.5 select visible calendars issue

Post by aebrown »

I've done some testing on this, and I've determined that none of the reports mention one essential factor (which is why some people have a hard time reproducing the problem). Here is my analysis of exactly what is happening:

When in Week view, you can check the box by one or more locations so that the events taking place at that location will be shown on the main calendar display, even if those events are not on a subscribed calendar which has a check mark next to it to indicate that its events should be displayed. With the update to V2.5 of the calendar, the locations checked in Week view also affect Month view; even though you can't change the state of those Location check boxes when in Month view, if any of those boxes are checked, they will cause events appearing at those locations to appear in Month view as well.

Since some people might not have any locations checked in Week view, they would not be able to see the problem when in Month view -- the Calendar would properly display exactly the same events it always had. Only if some Location check boxes are checked in Week view can you see the problem.

This "bug" is actually a feature that many people have long requested -- it would certainly be helpful to be able to see the events appearing at a location when in Month view. Now we have that "feature" (albeit with an awkward implementation, since you can't change the Location checkboxes while in Month view). We were always told that it would put too much strain on the servers to allow this feature in Month view; if that's still true, I imagine this bug will be fixed and the "feature" removed. :(
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:This "bug" is actually a feature that many people have long requested
Not really. I don't see events on calendars I'm not subscribed to. In my case, I confirmed this with a stake YW event. Needless to say, I don't see things happening in other units.

But I did confirm that the location in week view is connected.

I also found that if I leave week view set for a location other then the stake center (where my ward meets), I wouldn't see any problems. (Because I'm not subscribed to calendars outside of my ward.)

And in the process, I found a new but probably related bug - In week view, I'm seeing events on subscribed calendars that take place at a location. I have to toggle the calendar display to get them to disappear.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

aebrown wrote:This "bug" is actually a feature that many people have long requested -- it would certainly be helpful to be able to see the events appearing at a location when in Month view. Now we have that "feature" (albeit with an awkward implementation, since you can't change the Location checkboxes while in Month view). We were always told that it would put too much strain on the servers to allow this feature in Month view; if that's still true, I imagine this bug will be fixed and the "feature" removed. :(
Good additional info concerning the Location checkboxes but this is not the feature that has been requested. There are two problems. First, it's only showing those events that are on a subscribed calendar at the location. Any events on unsubscribed calendars or on calendars for other units do not display even though they do display in Week view. Second, if you check and uncheck one of the calendars the events for that calendar disappear from the view.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:This "bug" is actually a feature that many people have long requested
Not really. I don't see events on calendars I'm not subscribed to. In my case, I confirmed this with a stake YW event. Needless to say, I don't see things happening in other units.

But I did confirm that the location in week view is connected.
I guess I shouldn't have done down the path on editorializing on whether or not this was a long requested feature. That was purely as side comment, and was not entirely accurate.

The main point I was making was that the state of the Location checkboxes in Week view was an essential element that controls which events unexpectedly appear in Month view, and that point has been confirmed.
tseager

Post by tseager »

Despite the discussion, I was unable to duplicate the issue in the month view myself, until I disabled Noscript, which is a utility I use for security reasons to block most Javascript by default.

As soon as I allowed adobetag.com, I saw events from other subscribed, but deselected calendars. I was not able to replicate my unique issue by simply blocking adobetag scripts, but only after I also followed the directions above to select and deselect the calendars.

What adobetag is used for, or how it plays a role in calendar views is beyond me, but might be a helpful observation who know more about development of this tool
leanncarroll

Post by leanncarroll »

I've been following this thread with interest, as a similar thing seems to be happening with my calendar.

Is this a problem/bug that will get fixed by the powers that be?
Is there anything I need to do?

I know I'll get questions about this from the other leaders in the YW organization I work with. What should I tell them?

Thank you!
~Leann
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

leanncarroll wrote:I know I'll get questions about this from the other leaders in the YW organization I work with. What should I tell them?
I'm hoping a developer is reading....
I will tell those that ask me that it appears to be a bug that I hope they fix. Then I will tell them how to fix it: Go to week view, and uncheck the locations checkboxes, then go back to month view. Display now should be as you expect in month view...showing those events for calendars you are currently viewing. This method is easier than toggling all calendars on and then off again in month view to accomplish the same result.
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

I am a stake clerk that administrates our stakes calendars. I log onto the calendar many times each week. I started seeing this issue only last Friday. It did not appear just a few days before that. It is only happening with two of our many stake calendars. When I first log in and am in month view, these two calendar events show up on the calendar (even though I have them hidden). They also are showing up in the color black, and not their regular color. If I un-hide them then they show up in their regular color. Then if I hide them again, they disappear from the calendar. This only works for the current session. If I log out and back in, then this process starts all over again. I am using Google Chrome as a browser. I tried the going to week view and un-checking the buildings, and then back to month view and, Yes, these two calendars do disappear. But then in week view, I don't see several of the events that are in different buildings! (which I believe is the main use of week view!). I hope my experience helps in diagnosing this and I hope it is fixed soon. :)
gpford5

Post by gpford5 »

I'm having the same problem...unselect subs I don't want to see. They go away as they should. Logoff, and come back, and all subscriptions are visible even though the "box" is unchecked.
BrentAFisher

v2.5 Building Events Visibility Issue in Week View

Post by BrentAFisher »

Since the new version of the calendar has been in place I have had several people indicate that they can no longer see ALL events and reservations in the "week" view. I was skeptical at first but have verified this is the case. Previous to the upgrade, I could see ALL scheduled events and reservations whether I was subscribed to a calendar or not. That is no longer possible. I am only able to see the calendars and their events for the calendars for which I am given visibility rights. This makes it impossible to plan events without going through an entire scheduling process and having it rejected for a conflict.

Return to “Calendar”