v2.5 select visible calendars issue

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dshep2020

v2.5 select visible calendars issue

Post by dshep2020 »

I have had several members from my stake report issues since the v2.5 release regarding selected calendars not persisting across browser sessions. For example, a member is subscribed to six calendars, but only selects one of those to be visible. Logs out of the calendar. Logs back in, all calendars are selected. I can't replicate it but it has been reported by four or five members that regularly use the calendar. All have cleared cache and used different browsers on different computers. Seems tied to their account. Anyone else seeing this issue? Very odd.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: v2.5 select visible calendars issue

Post by jdlessley »

I cannot reproduce this. I am using Firefox 20.0.1 on Windows XP, another system using Firefox on Ubuntu and a third with Firefox on Windows 8. Before the upgrade I had only two calendars set to be visible and subscribed to all 14 ward calendars, 1 stake and the Churchwide calendar. I unchecked all, closed the browser, reopened, signed in and all were still unchecked. I then repeated the process with a number of different combinations of calendars selected. This was repeated on all three systems. The selections persisted across browser sessions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

Yeah, I can't repeat it either which limits my ability to help. Thanks for checking.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dshepher wrote:I can't replicate it but it has been reported by four or five members that regularly use the calendar.
Any possibility that this was a one-time issue going from the prior version to 2.5?

Can the users duplicate it?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

russellhltn wrote: Can the users duplicate it?
Yes. One member (stake exec sec) has been the most willing to work with me to resolve it. He says it isn't a one time thing. He also said it occurs on his wife's account too. He said he has tried it on different computers too. I am going to sit down with him 1on1 to see if I can get a better idea of what may be going on.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

I was able to spend a bit more time on this today after talking in person to a few people who have experienced the issue. I quickly realized that I too have the same issue and didn't realize it. Mainly because I don't work in the month view of the calendar, mostly in the week view.

Here is what I experienced and the steps I took to replicate it. I was able to reproduced this regardless of which browser I was using.

1. Log in to the calendar via a few different methods (lds.org, sign-in, then from tools -> Calendar; via https://lds.org/church-calendar/? ; https://lds.org/church-calendar/?lang=eng ; all results were similar)

2. Navigated to month view and ensured that "Churchwide Events" was the only "view" selected. This is what I saw:
ScreenHunter_002 21-Apr-13.jpg
Screen Capture initial "Churchwide Events"
(311.16 KiB) Downloaded 1484 times
Notice that only event that should be on the "Churchwide Events" is General Conference. There are other events on the view.

3. To remove all the other views, I had to either manually add and then remove each individual calendar view or select "Hide all calendars", then "Show all calendars" then again "Hide all calendars" and manually add "Churchwide events". This is how it should have appeared:
ScreenHunter_003 21-Apr-13.jpg
Screen Capture after clearing other views
(204.32 KiB) Downloaded 1484 times
This now correctly shows only the "Churchwide Events".

4. Next, I close out of my browser ensuring that no other browser windows are open.

5. Log back into the calendar website which takes me to my last view, month view with the "Churchwide Events" calendar visible, but again, all the other calendars events are being shown:
ScreenHunter_004 21-Apr-13.jpg
Screen Capture "Churchwide Events" only after browser close
(330.89 KiB) Downloaded 1484 times
Again, I did this on IE9, Chrome, and Firefox on my account and all behaved the same way.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dshepher wrote:I was able to spend a bit more time on this today after talking in person to a few people who have experienced the issue. I quickly realized that I too have the same issue and didn't realize it. Mainly because I don't work in the month view of the calendar, mostly in the week view.

Here is what I experienced and the steps I took to replicate it. I was able to reproduced this regardless of which browser I was using.
I've duplicated this as well. I noticed that the events that were shown from unchecked calendars were the ones that reserved a resource. Events without a location are not shown.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

eblood66 wrote: I've duplicated this as well. I noticed that the events that were shown from unchecked calendars were the ones that reserved a resource. Events without a location are not shown.
Good catch. That does appear to be the case.

I also confirmed that this issue exists with on my wife's account, on a different computer, different browser. I am pretty sure this is a bug.
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

I see the same thing when I check and uncheck calendars then log off and log on again - events with a resource scheduled are shown, events without are not
Mac OS 10.7.5 firefox 20.
AnnPeterson

Post by AnnPeterson »

As previously stated every event that reserves a resource shows up on my calendar even if I have not selected to show that specific calendar. I was able to get rid of them by unsubscribing to those calendars. This clears up my YW calendar so I am not showing a bunch of unrelated events, but greatly reduces the overall usefulness of the calendar as I cannot simply select a calendar to see what other activities are on scheduled on a certain day.

Return to “Calendar”