Can't create reservation when event already exists

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Can't create reservation when event already exists

Post by aebrown »

dshepher wrote:There was similar issue back in Aug of last year posted here and later here.
Similar, but not relevant to this topic. Both links you provide deal exclusively with Blocked reservations. This topic deals specifically with reservations assigned to a unit.

As far as I can tell, I am the only one who has tried to reproduce the problem reported in this topic, and was unable to. So I have to think it is data related, not a general bug.
chris.m.cook

Post by chris.m.cook »

dshepher wrote:There was similar issue back in Aug of last year posted here and later here.
I took a look at the thread, but couldn't tell if you were able to successfully "work around" the problem. Were you able to get it to work? If so, How? I haven't been able to get anything to work.
aebrown wrote:So whatever you're experiencing does not sound like a universal problem. It may have something to do with your data (either some slight corruption in your unit's database, or a particular combination of factors that don't exist in my scenario),...
How would I go about slightly uncorrupting my unit's database? It seems like at least one other user was experiencing the exact same problem. This is making our stake building coordinator's calling much more time consuming than it needs to be. Could it be user specific and not unit specific?
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

chris.m.cook wrote: I took a look at the thread, but couldn't tell if you were able to successfully "work around" the problem. Were you able to get it to work? If so, How? I haven't been able to get anything to work.
Sorry...for the lack of explanation. Workaround was to manually find the conflicts for the ward reservation and add them individually. Luckily we only have a few reservations for each location, but it was a pain.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

aebrown wrote: Similar, but not relevant to this topic. Both links you provide deal exclusively with Blocked reservations. This topic deals specifically with reservations assigned to a unit.
I have experienced the same behavior on unit reservations. But your are correct, those posts did deal with blocks. My apologies potentially leading off topic. I was honestly trying to help.
aebrown wrote: As far as I can tell, I am the only one who has tried to reproduce the problem reported in this topic, and was unable to. So I have to think it is data related, not a general bug.
I also tested this and newly created reservations don't cause an issue as aebrown confirmed. I did find that when I tried to extend some long standing unit reservations that have been around for a couple revisions of the calendar, I did run into the eternal spinner. That said, it wasn't consistent. So I think aebrown is correct in his conclusion that it is an isolated data problem that isn't pervasive. I would be curious if your issue was on newer reservations or if you were extending/modifying older existing reservations that may have underwent some "migrations". If it occurred on new ones...you got me.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dshepher wrote:
aebrown wrote: Similar, but not relevant to this topic. Both links you provide deal exclusively with Blocked reservations. This topic deals specifically with reservations assigned to a unit.
I have experienced the same behavior on unit reservations. But your are correct, those posts did deal with blocks. My apologies potentially leading off topic. I was honestly trying to help.
No apology necessary; your posts are very helpful. Even the links that might not be entirely relevant might have some tidbits of information that could be helpful. I've been in situations like chris.m.cook is, and in mild desperation you're happy to have any information that might provide a key to a solution.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dshepher wrote:Workaround was to manually find the conflicts for the ward reservation and add them individually. Luckily we only have a few reservations for each location, but it was a pain.
That is indeed one option. For the case where an existing reservation is causing a problem when you try to edit its repeating rules, another possible workaround is to delete that reservation and start over, or to create a new reservation that covers the new dates and leave the existing reservation in place.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:As far as I can tell, I am the only one who has tried to reproduce the problem reported in this topic, and was unable to.
I tried, but couldn't duplicate it either. I tried to do it with an event that was schedule by another ward so I wouldn't have rights to the calendar. I tried both a standard room and a custom room. I think I even tried "all day" reservation, but didn't try it against a all day event.

So it's either data or some other combination we're not detecting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”