Building Calendar for Two Wards

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aarondesk

Building Calendar for Two Wards

Post by aarondesk »

Hello all,
I have been trying to figure this out with no luck. Can someone help?

We currently have two wards in our building, and I have been tasked with creating a joint calendar that both wards share so we can ensure that the building is not double-booked. Currently we our ward calendar and they have theirs.

I created a ward calendar entitled "Building Calendar", but I don't think the other ward sees this, so this doesn't seem correct.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Aaron
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Building Calendar for Two Wards

Post by russellhltn »

I'm on my phone right now, so forgive the short answer, but you need to read the help file. As long as you use *events* and use the location feature to select the rooms in use, the existing system will prevent double-booking with no additional effort.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

This has been my experience as well. Members just don't get how the system works. We continue to want to use our old building Scheduling system managed by a single person.

I work in a large company with multiple rooms to schedule and individual calendars to pull up and see when I book.. I don't think this is as widely understood and used as we might think.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aarondesk wrote:I have been tasked with creating a joint calendar that both wards share so we can ensure that the building is not double-booked. Currently we our ward calendar and they have theirs.
The current calendar system does not allow this. You will each have your own ward calendar(s) and will not be able to see the calendar(s) for the other ward.

Once a calendar editor schedules an event (not a reservation or building restriction) and designates a resource (room/location) for the event, the other ward will not be able to schedule the same resource (room/location) at the same time. There will be no conflict.

A building scheduler is able to reserve or restrict the building for an individual ward. When a reservation (building restriction) is placed in the system for one ward, another ward can no longer schedule events during that time. This would be useful, for example, if Ward A had activity night on Tuesday and Ward B on Wednesday, or if A had the first and third week of some day and B had the second and fourth.

But the key to scheduling the building with no conflicts is for each ward to enter events on the calendar with specific rooms/resources specified. Conflicts are not allowed, even though one ward will not be able to see the other ward's calendar.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:
aarondesk wrote:You will each have your own ward calendar(s) and will not be able to see the calendar(s) for the other ward.
While members of one ward cannot view the calendars of another ward, they can view the events scheduled at the location using the procedure described in the "View Events by Location" section of "Viewing the Calendar". This fills the need for those looking to see where there are open dates or times for an event yet to be scheduled.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aarondesk

Post by aarondesk »

lajackson wrote: But the key to scheduling the building with no conflicts is for each ward to enter events on the calendar with specific rooms/resources specified. Conflicts are not allowed, even though one ward will not be able to see the other ward's calendar.
Thank you all. This is making more sense. One problem - no locations are listed for my ward's calendars. I've tried creating an event and I only can choose "No Location" or "Other Location" where I can type in the location.

After digging around the calendar help it looks like only stake leaders can set up locations, so I'll have to look to some higher ups for advancing this.

Thank you again.

A quick question - if a ward wants to schedule the whole building (such as for a ward party), is it typical to reserve every location within the building?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aarondesk wrote:One problem - no locations are listed for my ward's calendars. I've tried creating an event and I only can choose "No Location" or "Other Location" where I can type in the location.

After digging around the calendar help it looks like only stake leaders can set up locations, so I'll have to look to some higher ups for advancing this.
That's correct. The locations probably exist and can be seen by the stake calendar administrators, but they have not been configured so that "This location can be scheduled by Wards and Stakes."
aarondesk wrote:A quick question - if a ward wants to schedule the whole building (such as for a ward party), is it typical to reserve every location within the building?
Once you get the locations configured so they can be scheduled, you'll see that one option is "Schedule entire location."

Even for a ward party, I'd be cautious about using that option. Just because you're using the cultural hall and the serving area and the stage doesn't mean that the other ward couldn't have a meeting in the RS room, or a rehearsal in the YW room, etc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aarondesk wrote:One problem - no locations are listed for my ward's calendars. I've tried creating an event and I only can choose "No Location" or "Other Location" where I can type in the location.
The stake admins have to fix this. I'd start by asking the stake clerk. He should know who is taking responsibility for it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”