Calendaring issues: Sorry, the data service has failed messa

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lindahfife

Re: Calendaring issues: Sorry, the data service has failed m

Post by lindahfife »

I am getting the same error message. My intention is to modify a single reservation in a recurring reservation. The error message is: "Sorry, the data service has failed. Please contact support."
Can we get an answer as to why we can't modify a single reservation date only. This has been going on for a few months and worked properly prior.
Thanks,
trevorjchristensen

Post by trevorjchristensen »

My goodness! After weeks of fiddling, I thought I would try this forum out to see if anyone else was getting the same error as me. Apparently so. I get the error message "Sorry, the data service has failed. Please contact support." when attempting to block a location for any time or day. (Of course, there is no information as to who or how to contact support.) Is this operator error?? or do I need to call Salt Lake? This is quite problematic as people are creating reservations at will. Again, I have read the instructions and thought I understood them as well as the calendering model. I would welcome some help on this.
torybriggs

Sorry, the data service has failed. Please contact support.

Post by torybriggs »

I'm trying to modify an existing reservation (adding an additional room) and I keep receiving this error. The error message isn't helpful and asks you to contact support without giving you instructions for doing so. It took some digging just to find this forum.
Attachments
Google Chrome v 25.0.1364.160 on Mac OS X 10.8.2
Google Chrome v 25.0.1364.160 on Mac OS X 10.8.2
Google Chrome.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 884 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

torybriggs wrote:I'm trying to modify an existing reservation (adding an additional room) and I keep receiving this error. The error message isn't helpful and asks you to contact support without giving you instructions for doing so. It took some digging just to find this forum.
[Moderator note: I moved this post into the existing topic for this issue.]

Although you can see from the other posts in this topic that you are not alone, I would note that it is by no means a universal problem. I am able to edit existing reservations with no problems. However, I don't think anyone has any good theory as to why some units have no problems and others seem to be unable to edit any reservations.
torybriggs

Post by torybriggs »

Thanks for the response aebrown. I didn't initially add my post to this topic because my question is different. My issue is with the error messaging and contacting support. The error message tells me to contact support but I don't have any contact information for support. How do I contact support? Is posting to this forum considered contacting support?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

torybriggs wrote:Thanks for the response aebrown. I didn't initially add my post to this topic because my question is different. My issue is with the error messaging and contacting support.
Okay, that's understandable, but I think it's still helpful to have the post with the others that are related to this issue so that we can get a feel for how many people have this problem. It also gives us one central topic to post any responses to, if we happen to get any information from the Calendar developers.
torybriggs wrote:The error message tells me to contact support but I don't have any contact information for support. How do I contact support? Is posting to this forum considered contacting support?
This forum is definitely a good place to start; in many cases you'll find that someone knows the answer or can at least provide a workaround. Unfortunately I don't think that's the case for this issue.

When that message says "support" I assume they are referring to Local Unit Support, which your ward or stake clerk could contact.
NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

In answer to the question, "Why have a building scheduler at all?" It depends entirely on your building. I am the the scheduler for the stake center which is a circular building, all on one floor with a full sized basketball court/cultural hall/chapel in the middle. The person who can see the reservation calendar is the ONLY one in the building who can see the big picture. We are able to see ALL events that have been entered by ALL groups/auxillaries/ward or stake leaders on to their ward/stake calendars in our stake. In a building such as mine, with the high building usage of five wards, the region, the stake and individuals (like weddings) - it would be very easy for ward A to schedule an incompatible activity during say a child of record or convert baptism for Ward B, C, D, or E. Loud, noisy ward activities are incompatible with the reverent atmosphere you expect at a baptism and there is NO getting away from that in my building. I can't "reserve" a room anymore - that has to be done by the individual entering the event on their ward or stake calendar but I can see if there is anything incompatible with the activity being scheduled.

Most events are scheduled on ward/stake calendars at the beginning of the year so concievably it would be possible to do without a building scheduler or to make building scheduling an adjunct responsibility for an assistant stake clerk. Calendaring among the wards in my building is more fluid and things are added and events are often scheduled month to month as the wards are inspired and as the missionaries ready converts for baptism.

I am in the process of training everyone in my building to call to check for incompatible events and then telling them to place their event on their wards e-calendar on LDS.org in order to insure that they have the rooms they want.

I still have not read a satisfactory response to "Sorry the data service has failed. Please contact Support." I, too, tried to correct for the entire year the start time for a regular occuring "reservation" but was unable to do so that I had entered. Although we have never been able to enter an "EVENT", we were able to make adjustments to time and date to "EVENTs" already on the calendar. We have also had no problem correcting "reservation" start times that we input ourselves. Has that too been taken away?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

nancypalemany wrote:In answer to the question, "Why have a building scheduler at all?" It depends entirely on your building. I am the the scheduler for the stake center which is a circular building, all on one floor with a full sized basketball court/cultural hall/chapel in the middle. The person who can see the reservation calendar is the ONLY one in the building who can see the big picture. We are able to see ALL events that have been entered by ALL groups/auxillaries/ward or stake leaders on to their ward/stake calendars in our stake.
Everyone with an LDS logon can see all events and reservation for any building in there stake which they have flagged by using the week mode.
nancypalemany wrote:In a building such as mine, with the high building usage of five wards, the region, the stake and individuals (like weddings) - it would be very easy for ward A to schedule an incompatible activity during say a child of record or convert baptism for Ward B, C, D, or E. Loud, noisy ward activities are incompatible with the reverent atmosphere you expect at a baptism and there is NO getting away from that in my building.
This is easily rectified by those scheduling more reverent type events to ether schedule the whole building or the area adjacent to the room they are using to try and provide a reverent atmosphere. Some training on what to look for to prevent a problem is all that's needed.

nancypalemany wrote:I can't "reserve" a room anymore - that has to be done by the individual entering the event on their ward or stake calendar but I can see if there is anything incompatible with the activity being scheduled.
And so can everyone else.
nancypalemany wrote:Calendaring among the wards in my building is more fluid and things are added and events are often scheduled month to month as the wards are inspired and as the missionaries ready converts for baptism.
Not anymore fluid than anyone else. Wards a very capable of making decisions and looking for an opening in the building to schedule their events.
nancypalemany wrote:I am in the process of training everyone in my building to call to check for incompatible events and then telling them to place their event on their wards e-calendar on LDS.org in order to insure that they have the rooms they want.
Since everyone can see the whole calendar in the week view I see no need for such micro management. The new calendar is designed to eliminate this call.
NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

I am sorry, but I CANNOT agree with you about every member in the stake being able to see all of the events that have been placed on every ward calendar in the building or throughout the stake. I have logged into my ward's calendar and am unable to see that the Chinese Branch has scheduled the Primary Room for every Thursday for an event. I suppose if I went ahead and tried to schedule an event for that room on that day it would tell me it was in use and if that is what you mean then I understand what you are trying to say. HOWEVER, this ONLY works when you are living in an area where everyone has internet access and where everyone is using the calendar system. We have some areas in our stake where the families are so poor that when we ask youth register online for something - it becomes a hardship for their leaders to get their youth registered. Most of the other buildings in our stake are not fully utilizing the calendar system as we are in mine - so jumping around the stake and scheduling your event willy, nilly in any building could get you into lots of trouble. Then it becomes the wild, wild west and we already have that in one building already (it's not scheduled by our stake).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

nancypalemany wrote:I am sorry, but I CANNOT agree with you about every member in the stake being able to see all of the events that have been placed on every ward calendar in the building or throughout the stake. I have logged into my ward's calendar and am unable to see that the Chinese Branch has scheduled the Primary Room for every Thursday for an event.
The procedure to view all events scheduled at a location is to select "Week" view, then select only the location of interest in the "Locations" box and click the "Hide all calendars" link in the "Subscribed Calendars" box to declutter the calendar. All events scheduled for the week at the location selected will be displayed in color on the calendar. Reservations will also be displayed. Reservations will have gray time headers and a white time range box. For more information see the "Agenda, Month, and Week Views" section of the Calendar Views page in the Calendar Help.

Are you saying there are members in your stake who cannot see all events scheduled at a location using the procedure above? If they cannot, then there definitely is a problem somewhere. Note that events scheduled using the "No location" or "Other Location" option for "Location" will not be displayed using the above procedure.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”