iCal is not allowing set up for syncing

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mistercrowley

Re: iCal is not allowing set up for syncing

Post by mistercrowley »

So if I remove the calendar from Google, which will kill the phone sync, you're saying that it won't sync to both?
mistercrowley

Post by mistercrowley »

Ok forget Outlook. I just see Google Calendar "Importing calendar from URL..." and I am not getting anything.. why do they make changes just to break other things?

Just got a message: settings error. Failed to import."
Last edited by mistercrowley on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mistercrowley wrote:So if I remove the calendar from Google, which will kill the phone sync, you're saying that it won't sync to both?
If you remove it from Google, then that's one less issue that could be causing your Outlook sync to fail.

As for syncing to both, it can be done - as long as the combined requests from both do not happen in the same 9 minute window.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

It can indeed sync to both. But when you sync your calendar to more than one service, you need to do whatever you can to control the timing of when they sync so that they don't do that sync too close to each other.

For example, configure Service A to sync on odd hours, and Service B to sync on even hours. That way you can be confident that Service A and Service B won't hit the LDS calendar's sync service within 9 minutes of each other. The challenge is that some services don't give you control over the timing.

But before you do that, I'd highly recommend that you eliminate the issue of timing and make sure that both services can work independently. To be specific, you've already determined that Google works, but you have not yet been able to sync to Outlook. So remove your LDS calendar from Google entirely (or reset your calendar sync URL, which would stop Google from accessing the sync service). Then you can focus on Outlook and make sure that it is working.

Only after you have made sure that each of the two services work on their own should you worry about them working at the same time.
mistercrowley

Post by mistercrowley »

I generated new sync URLs and I was copying it and I downloaded the ics file somehow... so that works... I have made sure that Outlook is NOT running.

I coped the URL back in to Google Calendar - in the browser - and for the past 10 **now going on 20** minutes it is giving me the importing message.

Are there permissions on LDS.org that a member can set? If so, where?

Ok... Refreshed the page and there was the Google calendar

Not sure how this will Outlook....
Last edited by mistercrowley on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mistercrowley wrote:I coped the URL back in to Google Calendar - in the browser - and for the past 10 minutes it is giving me the importing message.
Sometimes Google takes several minutes to sync, but I've never seen it take 10 minutes. It does depend on the amount of data on your LDS calendars.

There have been a couple of times that I've decided Google wasn't going to ever say it was done, so I just refreshed the page, only to find that the sync seems to have been done already. So I'm not sure that Google is 100% effective in refreshing its page at the end of the sync.
mistercrowley wrote:Are there permissions on LDS.org that a member can set? If so, where?
No. Did you have some particular permission in mind?

Return to “Calendar”