Can't administer private calendars.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
EarloftheWest

Can't administer private calendars.

Post by EarloftheWest »

I am the Ward Clerk for my unit.
I am listed as an administrator for the calendar.
I also have rights from the Stake to administer the calendar for the building (I'm guessing that means other units in the building as well.)
When I go into a private calendar, I don't see anywhere where I can remove or add people that are attached to the calendar. Meaning, I can see the status of the individuals (view only or view/edit) but I can't remove them. I cannot add them either.
When I go to a public calendar, it appears that I can add editors and have control over the calendar.
As a test, I went into the system and tried to create a private calendar. I got an error that the name of the calendar needs to be unique - it was. I then changed it to a public calendar and got the same problem.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't administer private calendars.

Post by russellhltn »

EarloftheWest wrote:As a test, I went into the system and tried to create a private calendar. I got an error that the name of the calendar needs to be unique - it was.
Did you check the list of pending calendars and deleted but recoverable calendars?
EarloftheWest wrote:I also have rights from the Stake to administer the calendar for the building (I'm guessing that means other units in the building as well.)
I'm guessing they made you the Building Scheduler, which gives you power over events scheduled at that building, but no direct access to other ward's calendars.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

Thanks for your reply.
I see Deleted Calendars (0) and I don't see anything describing pending calendars. I would assume that should be right next to it.
EarloftheWest

Post by EarloftheWest »

I was finally able to create both a private and entire ward calendar. I was able to delete both of the calendars end edit the private calendar.
It appears that I can't edit a private calendar that I didn't create.
That seems to be the crux of the issue.
failproof

Post by failproof »

My experience is that for private calendars there are some nuances that may or may not be intended... The first thing, and I am sure this is intentional, if you are not explicitly listed with edit permissions on a private calendar, whether you are an administrator or not, you will not be able to subscribe to or view events on a private calendar. An example why thus is and should be this way: the ward website administrator should not be able to see the bishop's private interview calendar.

When it comes to administration, who can add other viewers and editors, rename or change other aspects of the calendar, etc., anyone who is an editor for that calendar should be able to make these changes, even if they are not an administrator. This part I believe is by design.

What I am not sure is intentional is this: if I create a private calendar and then remove myself from the calendar as a viewer and editor, the rules about viewing events and subscribing apply, but since I created it, I can still add and remove other viewers and editors, change the name, etc. even though I am not an editor on that calendar. I do not know if this is because I created it or if it is a combination of being both the creator and an administrator. i.e would I still have this permission if I was not a default administrator? It is not solely because I am an administrator though, because I do not have the ability to edit any aspects of a private calendar I did not create and am not an explicitly added editor. I can view the aspects of it and see who the editors and viewers are, but cannot change any of it. I think that it shouldn't work this way because then, if I was the one that created the bishops interview calendar, any time I wanted to see who the bishop was meeting with, I could simply add myself as a viewer.

Basically, what I am saying is that it should be required to be a calendar editor for you to administer any private calendar, but having been the creator appears to give you hidden permissions.

All this aside, there are several posts where individuals have had issues with private calendar permissions, even when they are editors on that calendar, so it seems that there are some underlying issues yet unresolved with private calendars.
jrose219

Post by jrose219 »

I have this issue, too. There is not a button to add (nor can I remove) access to private calendars (although I could last year). I am Stake Exec. Secretary, both an administrator and have edit access to the private calendar (Stake PEC Calendar, for example). I can add and view entries on this calendar, but not give access to it to the Assistant Exec. Secretary, who is also an administrator. However, since I can't add him, he can not see or add entries to the calendar.
shankar

Post by shankar »

This is my issue, too. Additionally, I would like to correct an annoying spelling mistake, and I cannot do that either!

Please advise!
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jrose219 wrote:I have this issue, too. There is not a button to add (nor can I remove) access to private calendars (although I could last year). I am Stake Exec. Secretary, both an administrator and have edit access to the private calendar (Stake PEC Calendar, for example). I can add and view entries on this calendar, but not give access to it to the Assistant Exec. Secretary, who is also an administrator. However, since I can't add him, he can not see or add entries to the calendar.
Since the Stake Assistant Exec. is not a standard calling therefore you will have to add him by name.
jrose219

Post by jrose219 »

Great, but I'm the stake executive secretary, which is a standard calling and cannot administer private calendars -- this year. It worked fine last year. That's the main issue.
jrose219

Post by jrose219 »

To clarify, there is not a button to "add" anyone. I can't add him by name OR by calling. the "Add new person" link is not available when I view a private calendar. It is fine for a public calendar. I added someone by name to a private calendar last year. His calling has changed and he no longer needs, or should have, access to that calendar and I can't remove him, as the "x" to remove him doesn't appear on the rows of people/callings with access.

Return to “Calendar”