Deleting calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Deleting calendars

Post by aebrown »

I am unable to delete any calendars. I am a stake calendar administrator, so I have all the correct permissions. Here's what I did and saw:
  1. I created a private calendar called Test. By default, I am a viewer and editor.
  2. The Test calendar appeared on the list of calendars, which bumped the number of calendars from 12 to 13.
  3. I clicked the red X to the right of the Test calendar.
  4. The Test calendar disappeared from the list, the number of calendars went from 13 back to 12, and the number of Deleted calendars changed to 1. That is exactly what I expected.
  5. But when I moved to the list of Deleted Calendars, there were no calendars in the list, and the "(1)" immediately disappeared. When I clicked back on the Stake Calendars link, the "(12)" on the stake calendars list immediately changed to "(13)". That was NOT what I expected.
  6. I tried closing the Settings, signing out from LDS.org, and closing the browser at various points. Nothing makes any difference.
  7. The bottom line is that that calendar cannot be deleted. What happened in step 4 above seems to be a pure UI change -- nothing changed on the server -- which became apparent when the pages were redrawn for any reason.
My conclusion is that with the current production calendar, there is no way to delete calendars. I haven't tried deleting any real calendars (just in case the deletion works), but I assume they would work the same way.

[This topic was first raised on the thread Importing Calendars, but since it has nothing to do with importing calendars, I decided to open a new thread.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

It appears that not only can an administrator not delete a calendar he cannot change the status of the calendar to Inactive. I have started another thread on this topic.
aebrown wrote:My conclusion is that with the current production calendar, there is no way to delete calendars. I haven't tried deleting any real calendars (just in case the deletion works), but I assume they would work the same way.
I can verify this behaves the same way for public calendars. I created one and then tried to delete it. I also tried to delete a calendar that has been used for more than a year and the same thing happened.

These two issues may be related.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ehallmark

Post by ehallmark »

I can also verify this. I tried deleting a calendar; it said it was deleted (and sent out an email notification to my entire ward) but the calendar is still there upon refresh of the page. Additionally I tried making the calendar inactive and it just resets itself to active. Therefore it is not possible to delete a calendar.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I once had a bishop whose philosophy was that once an activity was calendared - you never canceled.
Perhaps this has been taken to heart by SLC :)
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
mbstone

Post by mbstone »

I can also verify this. I cannot delete a calendar, events or no events scheduled.
ggconrad

Can't Delete Calendars

Post by ggconrad »

When I click the red "x" for deleting a calendar, the calendar disappears from the "Calendars" list and moves to the "Deleted Calendars" list, as it should. But if I then click to view the "Deleted Calendars" list the tally count reverts from 1 back to 0. Then when I click to view the "Calendars" list, the calendar I just deleted reappears in the list and the tally for the list reverts from 9 back to 10. And when I direct the browser from the Calendar Options window back to the normal Calendar window, that same calendar (which I just deleted) appears with all of its activities still present.

Please help!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This issue has been reported previously. See the posts in the rest of this thread.

[Moderator Note: I have moved your post into the same thread this is being discussed. You posted in the Beta Calendar forum where there is no current beta development for the community.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ChadLarsen

Re: Deleting calendars

Post by ChadLarsen »

I am frustrated by the same issue. When is this going to get fixed? We have calendars out there have events moved to a different calendar and would like to remove the old calendars so it is not confusing for our stake and ward members.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ChadLarsen wrote:I am frustrated by the same issue.
We are all frustrated with this issue. There is nothing we can do about it except exercise patience.
ChadLarsen wrote:When is this going to get fixed?
This is a common question asked for all issues, not just this one. And unfortunately the answer is, we don't know; they do not announce or publish schedules; they do not give estimates; and an announcement will be made in this thread when it is fixed. Another common question asked is - is there a work-around? And the answer to that is - not for this issue.
JD Lessley
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

Wrong thread. . .Why can't I delete this?

Return to “Calendar”