Please add method of approving resource requests

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
clintharris

Please add method of approving resource requests

Post by clintharris »

Currently I see two options with calendaring resources 1. Allow people to request the resources and these requests are approved if there are no conflicts. 2. Mark the resource as not being available to the ward or stake and force everyone to call a resource scheduler or e-mail them.

Can an option be added that can be a third option. Allow everyone to schedule resources but before the actual resource is scheduled an e-mail goes to a scheduler with the request so they can review and mostly approve but kick back if there are questions or concerns. The person submitting the request would first get an e-mail saying their request is pending approval and then after approved and message stating it is approved with the option of attaching a file--in our case guidelines for cleaning etc.

Thanks for considering.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

For the vast majority of events, there is a much better way. The new calendaring system is designed for distributed scheduling with conflict checking. Calendar editors can be assigned to put events on the appropriate calendar for their organization. They add events directly, and the system will notify them of conflicts. Almost all scheduling can be done in this way with no need for central approval or scheduling.

The remaining few events are odds and ends like family events, weddings, etc. Those can be scheduled by a ward calendar administrator, or by some other designated person.

You'll find most of the issues you raise are covered in the help topic Scheduling Events.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

Not a bad idea. It is a lot like the Directory. A member can add their own picture but it is not actually shown until it is approved.

The only change I would make is to allow this as an option on Calendars. For example, you could turn the option on for the General Ward Calendar so that anyone could request the resource and need it approved by a Calendar editor or turn it off, say for a Bishopric Meeting calendar where the only people who should be adding items already are calendar editors.

**aebrown was typing at the same time as I was--I agree that conflict checking already does this but the approval idea is an interesting enhancement**
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This third option sounds like you are trying to use a combination of the single point of scheduling model and the distributed scheduling model. The calendar uses the distributed model. Some people have found a way to adapt it to continue using a single point of scheduling.

Perhaps there is more to why you think this third option is needed. With what you have posted, there appears to be a concern about resources being improperly used or policies and procedures not being followed as to care and use. I my opinion these issues need to be addressed locally.

Technically I cannot see how there can be one situation where the system would allow the event to be scheduled, or prevent the event from being scheduled because of a conflict, and another situation where the attempt to schedule an event would be put on hold pending review from a building scheduler regardless of a conflict or not. What would be the criteria for putting the event request on hold?

Edit: aebrown's post addresses the unique events such as weddings, funerals, and other private events. But those events cannot be scheduled without contacting an editor of the special calendar, or an administrator, anyway.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”