Edits to recurring event don't apply

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rachieroo

Re: Edits to recurring event don't apply

Post by rachieroo »

I'm sorry--I am the stake building scheduler and everything I do is on the reservations calendar. Any time I say "event" I am referring to the room/resource reservation FOR an event, but it is a reservation. Sorry for the confusion.

And that's right--I hit "Update Reservation", choose to update the entire series or all following or whatever is applicable in the pop-up, and then it takes me back to the reservation editing page, with no message about a conflict anywhere (and, like I've said, I have manually checked for conflicts and there are none to be seen). Sometimes it just does nothing to the reservation (no changes applied), and sometimes it has deleted the reservation entirely once I get back to the calendar screen.
rachieroo

Post by rachieroo »

Is there anything I can change to make the conflicts message show up on the reservations calendar? I've enabled pop-ups for the site, but I still never see them. Even though I know that's not the problem for at least one of the reservations I'm trying to make, it is probably affecting others. We have a big stake and tons of events--it's impractical for someone to sift through every day manually to make sure there's nothing else in the way.
failproof

Post by failproof »

Curious, have you tried it with another browser? Don't know what browser you are using, but perhaps there is a browser incompatibility that is causing you not to see the conflict message. And I don't think it is a pop-up, I think it's a message at the top of the existing window.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rachieroo wrote:Is there anything I can change to make the conflicts message show up on the reservations calendar?
The Reservation calendar is not a reliable way to check for conflicts, because according to the design of the system, a reservation does not conflict with an event even if it's at the same time for the same location/room. And it seems that even reservations on top of reservations don't report a conflict, either. I'm not sure whether that is by design or if it's a bug (but according to this post, it is by design).

Only events do reliable conflict checking. If you start using events as they were intended, and cease trying to use reservations where you should be using events, you'll have reliable conflict checking. See Reservations Versus Scheduled Events in the About Reservations help topic to help you understand the important distinction.

If your stake wants to funnel all scheduling requests through you instead of using the distributed scheduling model, then you should be given editing rights to at least one calendar (it could be a private stake calendar) so that you can create events.
dancarter

Post by dancarter »

Ok--here is my problem! Thank you. I have been using the resource calendar to reserve rooms for people because they funnel MOST things through me and when the calendar rolled out, it was the ONLY thing I had rights to. Now I see that I'm supposed to be using the EVENTS calendar for almost everything, but I still do not have rights to that calendar (a year later!!). I will work with our stake people on this.

It turns out the reservations I was trying to create on the reservations calendar ARE showing up on the events calendar (although NOT the reservations calendar, which is weird--it seems like they would have shown up there even though I wasn't doing things the way I was supposed to). I don't know if this means anything to you all, but now you've got it documented and thank you for your help.

Return to “Calendar”