Calendar help for reservations vs. events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
eblood66

Calendar help for reservations vs. events

Post by eblood66 »

While I was reviewing the calendar help edits in connection to with the Calendar help for private events thread I also re-read the Reservations Versus Scheduled Events section on the Making Reservations page and I have a couple suggestions/concerns there:

First, in the second paragraph it says:
For example, if the 1st Ward wants to use the pavilion on June 16 for a barbecue, they don't need to ask the building scheduler to reserve the pavilion for them on that date. Instead, a 1st Ward calendar editor can simply schedule their barbecue event with the pavilion selected as the location.
I think it would be better if this were worded a bit stronger. Instead of saying 'they don't need to ask', I think it would be better to say 'they shouldn't ask'. And instead of 'editor can simply schedule', 'editor should simply schedule' would be better. 'Need not' and 'can' imply contacting the building scheduler is option but not mandatory. Since an event like this should always be put on a calendar contacting the building scheduler shouldn't be an option at all.

Second, I don't think the Primary activity is a good example. I would think that a regular Primary activity should be scheduled as an event. On the other hand if the wards in the building agree that 8-10am every first Saturday is available for 1st Ward activities (of any kind) and 8-10am every second Saturday is available for 3rd Ward activities that would be an appropriate use of reservations.

I guess in my mind that's the key to when to use a reservation: when wards agree on how to divide high-demand times between them. Individual wards shouldn't ask the building scheduler to make reservations for them. Reservations should only be made when the wards at a building make an agreement.

Of course, perhaps other's see it differently so I'm not as sure about this second suggestion as the first.

Comments?
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

I agree with your first suggestion. On the second one, while I agree that your example is a perfect reason to have a reservation created, I still think that auxiliaries need to book an event during that time. here is what I put in some training for our Stake to explain why:

 Reservations do NOT show on your Ward’s calendars. Members will not see that there is an event on a particular date unless you create a scheduled event for that time.
 Reservations can only be made for a Ward to a location/resource. For example:
o A reservation is made for the 3rd Ward to use the Relief Society Room on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. The Relief Society does not schedule an event using the room, since they “know” it is reserved for them.
o A member of the 5th Ward tries to reserve the Relief Society Room on that day but cannot because it is reserved for the 3rd Ward
o The 3rd Ward Young Men want to have a Court of Honor on that night. They check the calendar and see that they can schedule the Relief Society Room and so they schedule the event.
o At 6:50 PM, on the night in question, panic ensues as each group believes that they have the rights to the Relief Society Room. American flags and lace doilies are everywhere!!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

RBeatse wrote:I agree with your first suggestion. On the second one, while I agree that your example is a perfect reason to have a reservation created, I still think that auxiliaries need to book an event during that time. here is what I put in some training for our Stake to explain why:

 Reservations do NOT show on your Ward’s calendars. Members will not see that there is an event on a particular date unless you create a scheduled event for that time.
 Reservations can only be made for a Ward to a location/resource. For example:
o A reservation is made for the 3rd Ward to use the Relief Society Room on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. The Relief Society does not schedule an event using the room, since they “know” it is reserved for them.
o A member of the 5th Ward tries to reserve the Relief Society Room on that day but cannot because it is reserved for the 3rd Ward
o The 3rd Ward Young Men want to have a Court of Honor on that night. They check the calendar and see that they can schedule the Relief Society Room and so they schedule the event.
o At 6:50 PM, on the night in question, panic ensues as each group believes that they have the rights to the Relief Society Room. American flags and lace doilies are everywhere!!
Oh, I don't disagree that events should be created as well. As I see it, the reservations are made when the agreement is made (usually at the beginning of the year) and events are made as organizations in the ward make specific plans.

Return to “Calendar”