Different Time Zone issue

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RBeatse

Re: Different Time Zone issue

Post by RBeatse »

As I was thinking about this last night, it actually makes sense if there could be a check box at the top of the calendar that lets you choose to see the events in "device time" or in local unit time (which would require knowing what the time zone of the buildings are). Then a person could choose how they interact with the calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RBeatse wrote:As I was thinking about this last night, it actually makes sense if there could be a check box at the top of the calendar that lets you choose to see the events in "device time" or in local unit time (which would require knowing what the time zone of the buildings are). Then a person could choose how they interact with the calendar.
I was thinking more of a drop down list where the top selection would be "device time zone". But when the drop down list wasn't displaying the selection list, it would show the zone in effect. (Either the time zone set, or the reported time zone of the device.)

Of course, this assumes that people understand the concept of zones as used by the system. Not MST/MDT, but the zone that defines when DST starts/ends. Some people are going to be unhappy they can't find their state listed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

russellhltn wrote: Of course, this assumes that people understand the concept of zones as used by the system. Not MST/MDT, but the zone that defines when DST starts/ends. Some people are going to be unhappy they can't find their state listed.
You make good points! Maybe this is just going to be my issue since most don't travel enough that it matters.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Thanks. I tried to think of a way to stick with MST/MDT, but when dealing with "month view" you just can't. So I think the choices will have to be (to use the Win7 list for UTC-7):

(UTC-07:00) Arizona
(UTC-07:00) Chihuahua, La Paz, Mazatlan
(UTC-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

Individual events can be tagged as MST/MDT, but that would take more coding (and testing) to make sure it works world-wide.

I think the problem with "local unit time" is some stake span time zones. Not all wards are in sync. So there may be some question "what zone is that" when looking between local unit events and stake events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

russellhltn wrote: Individual events can be tagged as MST/MDT, but that would take more coding (and testing) to make sure it works world-wide.

I think the problem with "local unit time" is some stake span time zones. Not all wards are in sync. So there may be some question "what zone is that" when looking between local unit events and stake events.
Definitely don't want to add a lot more coding and testing. My first response to your second point was going to be that once again, although a Stake may cross time zones (what a headache that must be), the building itself that is being scheduled does not...at least I hope not!! However, I can't imagine being a Stake President and having to remember which building is in which time zone on the calendar and if he needs to adjust his own time of arrival. Man, this world domination thing is tough!!!

I, respectfully, conceded the point. More people would be affected negatively by making the change than I think are affected today using the device time. A lot better developer time can be put to issues like repeating events and an audit log, amongst others.

Return to “Calendar”