sync won't work for Google Calendar or Apple iCal

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
sergio.giolitto

Error message I get after I try to add the new link to calendar for Mac (iCal)

Post by sergio.giolitto »

First of all sorry for my poor english. :o
After generating a new address in the form "http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/serv ... ribe/xxxxx etc." and inserting it in ical (calendar) for Mac I got a new error that prevents me from closing the procedure of re-registration in a calendar. The message says: "There was an unexpected error with the request on subscribed calendars (error -1)". I read on google that you get this message if a request encountered an error in the Name secure connection part.
I hope it can help you understand the problem. After several attempts I was able to subscribe to the calendar on ipad and iphone even if I had to wait nine minutes for synchronization, but there's no way to subscribe to the calendar on desktop (iMac + OSX 10.8.2)
Sergio
See attached screen shot. (Sorry, is in italian!)
Schermata 2012-11-15 alle 10.56.32.jpg
Schermata 2012-11-15 alle 10.56.32.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

sergio.giolitto wrote:First of all sorry for my poor english. :o
After generating a new address in the form "http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/serv ... ribe/xxxxx etc." and inserting it in ical (calendar) for Mac I got a new error that prevents me from closing the procedure of re-registration in a calendar. The message says: "There was an unexpected error with the request on subscribed calendars (error -1)". I read on google that you get this message if a request encountered an error in the Name secure connection part.
I hope it can help you understand the problem. After several attempts I was able to subscribe to the calendar on ipad and iphone even if I had to wait nine minutes for synchronization, but there's no way to subscribe to the calendar on desktop (iMac + OSX 10.8.2)
Sergio
See attached screen shot. (Sorry, is in italian!)

Your English is very good! :)

I get the same thing on my Mac sometimes. Just keep trying, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
murrayhr

Post by murrayhr »

Since some of you are now saying that you can get Google Calendar to work, I guess I must be doing something wrong. In Google Calendar I try to add the calendar by pasting the URL and I get this message:

"The calendar athttp://www.lds.org/church-calendar/services/lu ... d35a94will be indexed by Google Calendar"(I've chaned the characters to x's for privacy).

That message displays for about 3-5 minutes, and no events are imported into the calendar.

Evenutally this message pops up:

"Settings Error
Failed to import calendar from "http://www.lds.org/church-calendar/serv ... c8fd35a994".

I'm not sure what a "settings error" is, I've checked all the potential settings in Google Calendar and can't figure out why the calendar from lds.org doesn't come in. I've regerated my URL links a bunch of times, I've waited for hours in between syncs, and I still can't get it to work. Any ideas as to what more I should be doing?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Note that you can only use that URL once every 9 minutes. That includes all devices you own that may be trying to sync.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
murrayhr

Post by murrayhr »

RussellHltn wrote:Note that you can only use that URL once every 9 minutes. That includes all devices you own that may be trying to sync.

Thank you, yes I've tried waiting hours in between and the calendar still doesn't populate in Google Calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

murrayhr wrote:Thank you, yes I've tried waiting hours in between and the calendar still doesn't populate in Google Calendar.

We may be back to an older problem where long IDs (32 characters) won't sync with Google for some reason. You can download the iCal and import it to Google, so we know the URL works and that the data is good, but Google is unable to talk to the church servers for some reason.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
murrayhr

Post by murrayhr »

Well this is very unscientific, but here's what worked for me. I generated a new URL, went to lunch for an hour (Carl's Jr.), and came back and added the URL to Google Calendar. The calendar populated perfectly into Google Calendar. Maybe when you generate a new URL it doesn't become active for an hour?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

murrayhr wrote:Maybe when you generate a new URL it doesn't become active for an hour?
I wonder if that's considered a URL access and so it doesn't become active until 9 minutes later?

Then again, we've been told it's by URL. But if it's really by user - then the new URL won't be available until 9 minutes since the last access to your old URL.

Return to “Calendar”