Calendar help for private events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RBeatse wrote:Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think this is correct. If the "private Events" calendar is not a Stake calendar, then unless you have a different person for each building (which we do not), you cannot book rooms in other locations. Our "Private Events" calendar is a Stake Calendar so that the person called as the building scheduler (me) can book locations/resources in any of the locations.

Actually it is correct. Any calendar editor can book events in any building. The one restriction on location assignments is that a building scheduler can't make reservations in a building that he is not assigned to, but that has nothing to do with events anyway.

But if you're having a stake-wide private events calendar, it would make more sense to make it a stake calendar, even if a ward calendar is technically feasible.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

aebrown wrote:Actually it is correct. Any calendar editor can book events in any building. The one restriction on location assignments is that a building scheduler can't make reservations in a building that he is not assigned to, but that has nothing to do with events anyway.

But if you're having a stake-wide private events calendar, it would make more sense to make it a stake calendar, even if a ward calendar is technically feasible.

Glad to be wrong. Thanks for the clarification
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RBeatse wrote:This is not even viewable by most of f the Stake but if someone tries to schedule something, they will see that it conflicts and are told to contact me where I can tell them where the problem is.
This would be very frustrating if I went to the week view for a building and saw no event scheduled so tried to schedule a event but received a conflict and could not figure it out due to it being on a calendar I could not see. Especially if there was no message directing me to the "Building Scheduler".

While this may be one way to use a Private calendar I don't see a need for it to be private.

Private calendars are good for events where your not scheduling the facility but want to have the event placed on an agenda, such as Bishopric appointments or Organizational Presidency meetings.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

Gary_Miller wrote:This would be very frustrating if I went to the week view for a building and saw no event scheduled so tried to schedule a event but received a conflict and could not figure it out due to it being on a calendar I could not see. Especially if there was no message directing me to the "Building Scheduler".

While this may be one way to use a Private calendar I don't see a need for it to be private.

Private calendars are good for events where your not scheduling the facility but want to have the event placed on an agenda, such as Bishopric appointments or Organizational Presidency meetings.

While I can see your point, after lots of discussion, this is the way that it was decided by our Stake Presidency. It is their call on this one. We are still getting people used to this and maybe their minds will change after more experience.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:The above is not a good combination. And can lead to Building Schedulers using the Reservation function like a calendar.
I see this happening all the time. Mostly due to members being use to calling the Building Scheduler to book the building and the building scheduler not understanding thier role. So all that happens is the building being reserved through a reservation when all that was really needed was the booking of an event on a calendar. Building schedulers need to start referring members back to the calendar editors to book an event instead of making a reservation that is not needed.
RussellHltn wrote:I think we all agree that's a bad idea.
Correct.
RussellHltn wrote:To me, the problem isn't the software as much as the help file needs some tweaking. Which is a very easy fix, comparatively speaking.
Correct the help file may need some tweaking. However Building Schedulers also need to take the time to magnify their calling by understand their role and the role of other calendar users. It all a matter of one getting trained, reading the handbooks (in this case the help file).
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Gary_Miller wrote:This would be very frustrating if I went to the week view for a building and saw no event scheduled so tried to schedule a event but received a conflict and could not figure it out due to it being on a calendar I could not see. Especially if there was no message directing me to the "Building Scheduler".

Actually the week view does show an event it just doesn't give you any details about what the event is if it's on a private calendar. So it's not all that bad.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RBeatse wrote:While I can see your point, after lots of discussion, this is the way that it was decided by our Stake Presidency. It is their call on this one.
Lots of times the Stake Presidency does not have all the facts or a good understanding of how a system works (especially if it a new system) when decisions are made. Often its because the individual giving the presentation does not fully understand how the system should or could work. Other times the decision is based on no facts except, that is how we have always done it. From your original post it sounds like a mixture of all the above.

Now that you have a good understanding or how the system should/could work. It might be a good time to go back to the Stake Presidency with some further information and a new proposal.
RBeatse wrote:We are still getting people used to this and maybe their minds will change after more experience.
Maybe but I think its better to put all the changes on the table at one time during the learning stage. Then all involved are implementing the changes at one time instead of constantly being frustrated due to constant change. This is not to say change is not going to happen it just makes sure change is at a minimum.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

eblood66 wrote:Actually the week view does show an event it just doesn't give you any details about what the event is if it's on a private calendar. So it's not all that bad.
I stand corrected. I had not yet experiences a private event being scheduled so just supposed it would not show up.

Did a quick private test calendar and event, then using my wife's log on went and looked at the week view. Sure enough there was a private event, I could not see anything but the times, location and rooms being used.

Now I'm beginning to think a private calendar is the way to go for private events. After all no one else really needs to know what the event is just that the building is being used at that time.

Yep, Time to go make our Family Events Calendar a Private calendar.:)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Now I'm beginning to think a private calendar is the way to go for private events. After all no one else really needs to know what the event is just that the building is being used at that time.

I see a couple of good reasons for that: 1) It keeps the Private Events calendar out of the general membership's sync feed without them having to manually remove it. 2) It would tend to discourage any "party crashers" looking for a free meal.

The only reason I can think of against private calendars is that some people are experiencing problems with them. Such as being dropped as a viewer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency in the help file and the need for greater clarification about this topic. I'll make some adjustments. I think I need to add a topic called "Creating Family Events." From what I can tell, the best practices are as follows:

* Don't contact the building scheduler to create this type of event.
* If a building scheduler is contacted, don't create the event as a reservation (because this doesn't reserve the building for a specific group -- it still will allow the building to be available for the ward as a whole).
* Contact the executive secretary, who liaises with the bishop and can secure permission for these type of activities.
* Have the executive secretary schedule this as an event on the Family Calendar.

Let me know if I misinterpreted the outcome of this thread.

Return to “Calendar”