Calendaring on Both a Ward and Stake Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:Other then not booking the room, what is the problem with using "Other Location" and then filling in "Downtown building, Room 116"?
It will not show up on the calendar of events booked in that building. For instance if you hide all the calendars and just check that building the event does not show up as an event even though you plan on using the building.

Why would you use "Other Location" when you plan on having your event in the "Downtown Building"?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:It will not show up on the calendar of events booked in that building. For instance if you hide all the calendars and just check that building the event does not show up as an event even though you plan on using the building.

Why would you use "Other Location" when you plan on having your event the "Downtown Building".
Your reply simply explains the benefits of booking a particular room. The question was "Other than booking the room, what is the problem with using 'Other Location'...?"

In our stake, we don't care whether a class that meets in a particular classroom books the room. We have decided that for events such as all the different events for the six different classes meeting on Mutual night, there is no significant benefit in booking the rooms that are used for the various classes. Those rooms are well established. I have never heard of a single problem with those classrooms on Mutual nights.

We value the simplicity of having fewer rooms associated with a location, and that system is working great for us. I'm really glad that your system of booking all the rooms is working well for you in your stake. I hope you can see that alternate systems can work well for other stakes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:Your reply simply explains the benefits of booking a particular room. The question was "Other than booking the room, what is the problem with using 'Other Location'...?"
How about that it just does not make sense to book using "Other Location" when your location your meeting in is on the list of locations. It just does not pass the sanity check.
aebrown wrote:We value the simplicity of having fewer rooms associated with a location, and that system is working great for us.
What Simplicity? The simplicity is being able to select any room in the building. The work is only in the initial set up after that, as you said "for the most part you set them up once and they need little attention after that"
aebrown wrote: I hope you can see that alternate systems can work well for other stakes.
I can see that they work.

As for working well, that's yet to be determined.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:How about that it just does not make sense to book using "Other Location" when your location your meeting in is on the list of locations. It just does not pass the sanity check.

I guess we have different definitions of sanity. Using the "Other Location" option is a reasonable choice when the place the event takes place is not in a room that is currently configured, even if it takes place at one of the buildings configured as a location in the calendar system.

As an example, we once had an event for which we specified the location as "Other Location" and then said that it took place in "The northwest corner of the stake center parking lot." That's an event that took place at the stake center -- one of the locations in the list of locations -- but did not occur in a configured room. Would it make sense that the only proper way to specify this event's location is to create a room called "NW corner of parking lot" and attach it to the stake center location? That doesn't pass a sanity check for me. And rooms that don't need to be scheduled according to our stake's rules are in the exact same category. I freely grant that other stakes may have different rules, but that's their choice, not ours.
Gary_Miller wrote:What Simplicity?

The simplicity I'm talking about is that every time a calendar editor needs to select a room from the list, they scroll through a list of about 10-15 rooms, instead of a list of 40-50 rooms.
Gary_Miller wrote:I can see that they work.

As for working well, that's yet to be determined.

How much data do you need? Our stake has two years of experience operating this way. I haven't heard a single complaint on the topic we're addressing (and believe me, I hear plenty of complaints on other calendar-related topics).

One of the great features of the calendar system is that it provides sufficient flexibility that stakes can operate in different ways, finding a configuration and set of processes that works well for each. Posts on this forum show that various stakes choose widely different ways of using the calendar -- and they do so successfully. Although it's helpful to point out your perspective of pros and cons for different approaches, it is clear that different stakes may attach different priorities to the various pros and cons. I think that's healthy.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Bro. Brown I want to thank you for your input and incite you have on this form. I have learned allot from your views as well as others on this form. Knowing how others do things has opened my eyes to all the possibilities on LDS.Org. I mean no disrespect from my comments as a healthy discussion is good when you want to find out how others feel on a subject. The most important thing I have learned from this site is that there are many different ways to accomplish the same thing and that is good. I've also learned that our stake has a lot to learn if we are going to properly use the tools on LDS.org.

We have one of them parking lots on our building list and yes it does not make sense to have it there, especially sense we only have one parking lot. Its one of the things I'm currently trying to get changed.

In my view my stake has not set up the calendar very well. Nor do we use it for much beyond scheduling the building. Its starting to change but we have a long way to go.

My goal is to get our ward to start using the resources and tools on LDS.Org more fully. It seems like no one know whats available or they just don't see the need.
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote:We value the simplicity of having fewer rooms associated with a location, and that system is working great for us. I'm really glad that your system of booking all the rooms is working well for you in your stake. I hope you can see that alternate systems can work well for other stakes.
If I remember correctly from some of aebrown's other posts, aebrown lives in a stake where the calendar policy is defined, understood, and enforced. That goes a long way to making any system successful.

Too many times in the church, I've seen that it doesn't matter who's scheduled a building; it's who got there first that seems to matter. When the people who scheduled the building show up they are usually expected to have Christlike compassion on those who didn't bother to schedule the building and somehow adjust their schedules and activities to accommodate those people. If the policy is defined and enforced, people will start to learn and follow the policy. If it's not enforced, many people will ignore it. This pattern occurs in many facets of life, not just church ;)

Return to “Calendar”