Help Button

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
craiggsmith

Help Button

Post by craiggsmith »

Was the help button always under the settings menu or was it more obvious in the old interface? I thought it was more obvious. I thought clicking on the "i" would give me a help option but it doesn't; seems like that would be a good place for it.

I thought the gear icon was just used for settings. I see that Chrome and LDS Tools (Android) have a different icon for the general menu now. Is there a standard?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Help used to be an icon next to Settings (rather than in the Settings menu), but with the latest version, we put help as an option under Settings and put the quick overlay (the
"i" icon) where help was. Do you find the quick overlay useful at all, or should we put the help icon back where it used to be?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

I doubt that the overlay is helpful for most people who frequent this forum, but it might help new calendar users. I'll ask around.

I do know that I was helping one person get familiar with the calendar, and she was having trouble with a concept that I knew was described well in the help system, so I instructed her to go to the help system. She fumbled around a bit and was unable to locate the help system until I relieved her misery by telling her to click on the Settings icon. That's just one data point, but take it for what it's worth.

Speaking of the overlay, most of the descriptions are links to the help system (for some odd reason, Subscribed Calendars and Settings don't have links; Today doesn't either, but it's quite self-explanatory). When I look at the URLs for the links, they each look something like https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/cal ... l#cshid=45, but the cshid parameter has a different value for each link. So it appears that the intention is that each link would go to a particular help topic. But it looks like the cshid parameter is ignored, and you are always taken to the main "Calendar Help" page (and I tried this on FF, IE, and Chrome). It would be good to go to the specific relevant page.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks, I thought I tried to click on one of those descriptions but who knows. I probably clicked on one that wasn't underlined. "I/O" error again.

I agree that the overlay isn't necessary for most of us on this forum but is probably good for others. I was thinking a Help button on the overlay might be useful, perhaps next to the Close button, to take you to the main help page.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Calendar”