Problem modifying a repeating event.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

RussellHltn wrote:Given the fact that the stake admins have no rights to the ward calendars, they need someone to be the "admin" for the building. That's the role of the Building Scheduler.
The building scheduler has no rights to the ward calendars ether all they can do is see what events have been booked for the building their responsible for, and update the details. Unless they live in one of the wards in the building and are given editor/administrator rights they can do nothing else to any calendar.

From the helps in the calendar.

"Building Scheduler Role

Stake administrators designate one or more ward building schedulers for each location. The building scheduler is responsible for all events taking place at a location. Building schedulers can do the following:

-Update the details for any event scheduled in their location.

-Reserve locations for wards at specific, recurring times.

-Block out the location for a specific time, preventing any calendar editor from scheduling it.

-Override any reservations for their locations.

Contrary to what the name might imply, building schedulers cannot actually schedule events. They can only create reservations, which are not events. (See Making Reservations for more information about the difference.)"
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Gary_Miller wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Building schedulers can, or should be able to, edit and delete events on any calendar scheduled to use a location or rooms/equipment at a location for which they are assigned as a building scheduler.
In the past yes but the principles of the new calendar is for building schedulers only to be able to add reservations.
To what past are you referring? Unless there has been a change in the roles in the past two weeks, the rights of a building scheduler has not changed since the calendar was in beta. The statement that a building scheduler is "only to be able to add reservations" is not supported in experience nor in the documentation nor in need to support the role. Editing events and editing reservations are more than only being able to add reservations.

A primary function of a building scheduler is conflict resolution, whether proactive or reactive. Proactive conflict resolution is accomplished through reservations. Reactive conflict resolution is through communication, editing reservations, and editing events. Editing of either reservations or events includes deleting.
Gary_Miller wrote:A building scheduler being able to to anymore than that defeats the purpose of having editors and administrators.
Having overlapping rights does not defeat the purpose of a role. The nature of the roles will create overlap in rights to function in the capacity intended. Administrators have all the rights of editors since they have ultimate responsibility for unit calendars. It make sense so they can administer the calendar. Building schedulers have some editor rights to be able to manage the building resources and to resolve resource conflicts.
Gary_Miller wrote:Correct and according to the help section they only have rights to update the detail (edit), and I don't understand why they have that right.
To be able to resolve conflicts may require editing an event. Changing rooms scheduled or adjusting event times, to include setup or cleanup times may be necessary. Some situations may require deleting an event.
Gary_Miller wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Any change that does not allow building scheduler to delete events using a location and rooms/equipment at a location for which they are a building scheduler is a bug. The capability to delete events is a basic function of a building scheduler rights.
Not according to the documentation. And why should they be able to delete an event in which they did not set up. There is no possible reason for them to be able to do this. If there is a conflict then it should be worked out among the units involved and there should never be a conflict because someone had to book the event first so the other should find a different date, time or location. The only time I could see justifying a change would be because of a funeral.
The documentation may not be clear about what is meant by "edit". But experience as recent as two weeks ago indicates that "edit" includes "delete". In an ideal world conflicts should be handled between those involved. But that is not always the case. The role of building scheduler (The term is not an adequate description of the role and has been discussed in other threads.) includes conflict resolution. To be able to function in this role requires the tools to accomplish this. Most of us will agree that the need for the building scheduler to step in may occur few times when others communicate, or are capable of communicating.

Since I am not certain that the ability to delete an event has changed recently I will continue to assume there is a bug in the programming. We have experienced changes in functions of applications without notice from ICS in the past. Hopefully someone from the Calendar team will comment on this. Until then I am trying to contact my building scheduler to run a few tests.
Gary_Miller wrote:I have refrained from saying this because I think it should have been obvious. However, it seems to not be so obvious for some. So here goes. ITS TIME FOR EVERYONE TO GO AND READ THE HELP SECTION IN THE CALENDAR. Pay particular attention to the section on roles.
The help documentation may have areas of confusion. It is our responsibility to identify this and submit feedback when there is confusion, things are not clear, or not addressed. We have done this in the past and Tom Johnson has made appropriate updates as needed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

JD, Go look at the "Building Schedulers Role" no where does it say they have delete rights to events, nor should they have this right.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Gary_Miller wrote:JD, Go look at the "Building Schedulers Role" no where does it say they have delete rights to events, nor should they have this right.
Does the documentation dictate the functionality? Or should the documentation reflect the actual intended functionality? Since the actual functionality has been, and I think still is, that a building scheduler can delete an event, then the documentation needs to be changed to reflect that.

The discussion of the OP is that there appears to be an anomaly or bug. The documentation has not changed over the past two weeks when there was experience that a building scheduler could, and had always been able to, delete an event. Let's determine if there is or if there is an unannounced change in rights and not get wrapped around the semantics of what the documentation does or does not say.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:JD, Go look at the "Building Schedulers Role" no where does it say they have delete rights to events, nor should they have this right.
If you look carefully at this post, you'll see that indeed building schedulers can delete events. So this whole discussion of whether building schedulers should have the right to delete events in their building, or if they ever did, is missing the point.

The only problem which does seem to be recently introduced is the context menu that appears when you right click on the event. There the Delete Event option does not appear now for building schedulers. But if they left click on the event, they can indeed delete the event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:But if they left click on the event, they can indeed delete the event.

Left-click AND click "Edit event details & location". If you stop at that first screen, you can't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

I checked with the dev team. Building schedulers cannot delete events. If you're a building scheduler and you need to delete an event, change its location to "No Location" and contact the event creator or a ward admin to let him or her know the event should be deleted.

Note that it might be helpful to entitle building schedulers as administrators for various wards as needed. This would give building schedulers more power to add or remove events on calendars.

I'll update the documentation with this more specific detail. Let me know if there are more questions that I haven't answered from this thread.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnsonth wrote:I checked with the dev team. Building schedulers cannot delete events.
Maybe not supposed to, but they indeed can.
johnsonth wrote:Note that it might be helpful to entitle building schedulers as administrators for various wards as needed.
Unless I'm missing something, this isn't possible. At best they can be admins for the stake and their ward. Can a ward desinate someone outside of their ward as a admin?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

johnsonth wrote:I checked with the dev team. Building schedulers cannot delete events. If you're a building scheduler and you need to delete an event, change its location to "No Location" and contact the event creator or a ward admin to let him or her know the event should be deleted.
Thank You John, I knew I was not crazy.
johnsonth wrote:This would give building schedulers more power to add or remove events on calendars.
Building Schedulers do not need this power. Adding an removing events should only be done at the calendar editor/administrator level. After all the principle behind the new calendar system is to make it easier to book events on the general membership is it not.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Thanks for the clarification. This is a bug. Bldg schedulers shouldn't be able to delete events. I escalated it to the team's JIRA to address in their backlog. Most likely it will be fixed in an upcoming release.

Re giving building schedulers admin rights -- good point. I forgot that it would only work for one ward and a stake. Scratch that recommendation, then.

Return to “Calendar”