Problem modifying a repeating event.

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Problem modifying a repeating event.

Postby russellhltn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:24 pm

I tried searching for other situations like this, but finding Google seems to be filtered.

One of our wards set up a repeating event "Sacrament Meeting". One Sunday in November is our Stake Conference, so I went to try and delete that Sacrament Meeting. But I can't.

That was is my ward, but I have no edit rights to their calendar. I am listed as the "other" (non-primary) building scheduler. When I try to delete it, I end up with a window with no title and no text. I think it's probably trying to ask me exactly what to delete (this event, future events, whole series, etc).

I know I've been able to delete that event in the past, but with the current calendar version, I cannot.

Edit: I made myself the primary building scheduler. No change.

One thing I noticed - the "delete event" option is grayed out when I right click that event. The system seems to think I can't delete it. I also notice that I only get that window (by clicking on the event and clicking delete) if I've accessed another event that I do have delete rights to. But only once. So I suspect multiple bugs: The first - that it won't let the building scheduler control their building. Second, that there is a empty window sometimes in situations where there should be no action.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:37 pm

Am I the only one seeing this issue?

Edit: Looking at it some more, this doesn't appear to be a "repeating" issue. When right clicking any activity that is on a calendar I do not have editing right to, the "delete" function is grayed out. Yet I can create/delete reservations which should conform that I'm a building scheduler for that location.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Postby Gary_Miller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:27 pm

The problem is Building Schedulers don't have delete rights to events on calendars they are not editors/administrators of, they can only update the details for any event scheduled in their location

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Gary_Miller wrote:The problem is Building Schedulers don't have delete rights to events on calendars they are not editors/administrators of, they can only update the details for any event scheduled in their location
This is not correct. Building schedulers can, or should be able to, edit and delete events on any calendar scheduled to use a location or rooms/equipment at a location for which they are assigned as a building scheduler. Building schedulers are not administrators, nor are they editors of any calendar. The rights a building scheduler has does not involve any of the administrator rights and only a subset of editor rights. Those editor rights apply only to events that have been created and utilize the location and rooms/equipment of the location for which they are a building scheduler.

Any change that does not allow building scheduler to delete events using a location and rooms/equipment at a location for which they are a building scheduler is a bug. The capability to delete events is a basic function of a building scheduler rights.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm

The help file does indeed say "Update the details for any event scheduled in their location", but it's unclear just what that means. It seems silly if they can only update the text but have to beg the calendar editors to move or delete events when there is a conflict.

With some additional playing I've discovered:

- The options that appear are influenced by if I've subscribed to the calendar or not. For example, if I right click on a even scheduled on a public stake-level calendar (and I'm a default stake admin) all the options are grayed out until I subscribe to that calendar.

- Attempting to delete a repeating event on a ward calendar (where I have no right) from the small pop-up box either ends up with no response or a new empty pop-up box.

- If I go to the detail (large) screen for that same event, I am able to delete it and I get the expected dialog when you go to modify a repeating event.

I'm not 100% sure of what's supposed to happen, but the UI is inconsistent.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Postby Gary_Miller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:00 pm

jdlessley wrote:This is not correct. Building schedulers can, or should be able to, edit and delete events on any calendar scheduled to use a location or rooms/equipment at a location for which they are assigned as a building scheduler.
In the past yes but the principles of the new calendar is for building schedulers only to be able to add reservations. At least that's how I understand it when I read the information on how to work the calendar under the help section. A building scheduler being able to to anymore than that defeats the purpose of having editors and administrators. The building scheduler is no longer king of the building. That's why its more important to book events instead of reservations.

jdlessley wrote:Building schedulers are not administrators, nor are they editors of any calendar.


Correct and they should not have the right unless they are a member of the leadership in the organization responsible for that calendar.

jdlessley wrote:The rights a building scheduler has does not involve any of the administrator rights and only a subset of editor rights. Those editor rights apply only to events that have been created and utilize the location and rooms/equipment of the location for which they are a building scheduler.
Correct and according to the help section they only have rights to update the detail (edit), and I don't understand why they have that right.

jdlessley wrote:Any change that does not allow building scheduler to delete events using a location and rooms/equipment at a location for which they are a building scheduler is a bug. The capability to delete events is a basic function of a building scheduler rights.


Not according to the documentation. And why should they be able to delete an event in which they did not set up. There is no possible reason for them to be able to do this. If there is a conflict then it should be worked out among the units involved and there should never be a conflict because someone had to book the event first so the other should find a different date, time or location. The only time I could see justifying a change would be because of a funeral.

The way events are booked for a building has changed. To me it makes allot of sense. The problems I see arising is because building schedulers what to continue doing things the same old way, and the same old way does not work.

I have refrained from saying this because I think it should have been obvious. However, it seems to not be so obvious for some. So here goes. ITS TIME FOR EVERYONE TO GO AND READ THE HELP SECTION IN THE CALENDAR. Pay particular attention to the section on roles.

Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Postby Gary_Miller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:08 pm

RussellHltn wrote:The help file does indeed say "Update the details for any event scheduled in their location", but it's unclear just what that means.


I don't think is unclear. Update means to "to bring up to date" in other words "edit".

RussellHltn wrote:It seems silly if they can only update the text


I agree they should not have the right at all to to update/edit. There is no reason for someone who knows nothing about an event to be able to change the information about the event.

RussellHltn wrote:but have to beg the calendar editors to move or delete events when there is a conflict.


I covered how I saw this in my post above.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Gary_Miller wrote:I don't think is unclear. Update means to "to bring up to date" in other words "edit".


What's unclear is just what "details" means. IOW, what can the Building Scheduler edit? It doesn't make sense to me that they can change the text but not the timing, resources, or other things that do pertain to being the building scheduler (or coordinator).

But it is clear from the documentation that the Building Scheduler is supposed to be able to make changes.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Gary_Miller
Senior Member
Posts: 1218
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:42 am
Location: Emmett, Idaho

Postby Gary_Miller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:49 pm

RussellHltn wrote:What's unclear is just what "details" means. IOW, what can the Building Scheduler edit? It doesn't make sense to me that they can change the text but not the timing, resources, or other things that do pertain to being the building scheduler (or coordinator).

But it is clear from the documentation that the Building Scheduler is supposed to be able to make changes.


I would guess the "details" would be the same things that an administrator can edit. Calendar, title, description, date, time, location, resources, setup time, and clean up time. I think that covered all the areas. However, since I'm not a scheduler I can not verify this. Maybe someone else can.

Of course as I previously stated I don't think the Building Scheduler should be able to edit or delete any event. Only calendar editors or administrators should have edit functions.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Gary_Miller wrote:Of course as I previously stated I don't think the Building Scheduler should be able to edit or delete any event. Only calendar editors or administrators should have edit functions.


Given the fact that the stake admins have no rights to the ward calendars, they need someone to be the "admin" for the building. That's the role of the Building Scheduler.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest