Admin not notified of conflict when scheduling event over an existing reservation

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lmemmott

Admin not notified of conflict when scheduling event over an existing reservation

Post by lmemmott »

Is anyone else seeing this issue? Do you know a way to make it work right?

The issue is the following: As the stake clerk (i.e. general admin for our stake and in many ways the superuser) I've setup reservations for all wards to have certain resources at given times throughout the week and month for regularly scheduled youth and RS activities. Note that these are reservations, and not actual events. Later I come along, again logged in as the stake clerk, and the system will allow me to schedule a stake event for a resource that should already be held by one of the reservations I made earlier!!! Yikes!!! In working with a ward clerk we found that it blocks, as expected, his ability to schedule an event, but for me as the stake clerk, it lets me do it with no problems and no warnings!!! Yikes Again!!! I've got myself into a bind a couple of times because I've reserved some resources for a RS activity and then at a later time scheduled something like a stake youth event over the top of it.

I guess one could argue that because I'm the stake clerk the system should let me do what I want. My thinking is that the system should prevent me from reserving a resource for one ward but then allow me to schedule the same resource for a stake event. I don't suppose these is a setting in the system that would allow me to disable this undesirable behavior. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance for you time reading and responding to my post,
Lester M
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lmemmott wrote:The issue is the following: As the stake clerk (i.e. general admin for our stake and in many ways the superuser) I've setup reservations for all wards to have certain resources at given times throughout the week and month for regularly scheduled youth and RS activities. Note that these are reservations, and not actual events. Later I come along, again logged in as the stake clerk, and the system will allow me to schedule a stake event for a resource that should already be held by one of the reservations I made earlier!!! Yikes!!! In working with a ward clerk we found that it blocks, as expected, his ability to schedule an event, but for me as the stake clerk, it lets me do it with no problems and no warnings!!!

Do you also happen to be a building scheduler for the buildings in question? If so, the system is working as designed. One of the capabilities a building scheduler needs to have in order to resolve conflicts is to be able to schedule events on top of reservations. Thus a building scheduler can simply do so, and there is no warning (personally, I wish there were at least a warning, but there is none at this point). See the Building Scheduler Role section in Rights and Roles in the help system.

Your role as stake clerk does not allow you to schedule on top of reservations. I am an assistant stake clerk and function in a similar role for my stake as you do for yours. But I made sure I am not a building scheduler, and I do indeed get notified of conflicts with reservations (except for those designated for the stake unit, which is the correct behavior). I'm pretty sure that if you remove your building scheduler role, the system will work as you expect and report conflicts with reservations.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lmemmott

Post by lmemmott »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That was it. I had put myself in as a building scheduler to help with that role. I've taken myself out and the system acts as I would expect. ...and I agree that the build scheduler should at least get a warning.

Thanks again!
Lester M
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lmemmott wrote:I've got myself into a bind a couple of times because I've reserved some resources for a RS activity and then at a later time scheduled something like a stake youth event over the top of it.
That's another problem. Reservations are intended to reserve a building for "ward night". It does NOT reserve for an organization.

In your situation, when you created a reservation for the RS of Ward A, the youth of Ward A could still schedule an event. They are not blocked because they are in the same unit.

Only an event locks up the room(s) and prevents further scheduling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

aebrown wrote:Thus a building scheduler can simply do so, and there is no warning (personally, I wish there were at least a warning, but there is none at this point).
From the discussion I can how this would be quite beneficial to avoid similar situations. It's not entirely clear that the building scheduler role has this ability as it goes contrary to functionality for all other roles. I'll add this to the backlog so it can get scheduled for a future addition.
lmemmott

Post by lmemmott »

RussellHltn wrote: That's another problem. Reservations are intended to reserve a building for "ward night". It does NOT reserve for an organization.

In your situation, when you created a reservation for the RS of Ward A, the youth of Ward A could still schedule an event. They are not blocked because they are in the same unit.

Only an event locks up the room(s) and prevents further scheduling.

Completely understand. I'm working the other direction as well to make sure the ward clerk puts these on the calendar.

Return to “Calendar”