Issues with Repeating Calendar Events with Repeats"

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lmemmott

Issues with Repeating Calendar Events with Repeats"

Post by lmemmott »

Is anyone else having trouble scheduling repeating calendar events when using the "Repeats Until" field set to "a specific date"??? Many times when I do this, I save it and then look and it isn't on the calendar. It's disappeared!!! So I do it again using the option for "a specific number of occurrences" and that works. Anyone else seeing the same? Aside for my workaround given above, is there a better way to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
LM
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lmemmott wrote:Is anyone else having trouble scheduling repeating calendar events when using the "Repeats Until" field set to "a specific date"??? Many times when I do this, I save it and then look and it isn't on the calendar. It's disappeared!!! So I do it again using the option for "a specific number of occurrences" and that works. Anyone else seeing the same?

I have not seen such a problem, and I just tested it and the "a specific date" option worked fine.

With either option, it's possible that the "Repeats Until" setting will extend more than 2 years into the future, which is not allowed. But when that happens, you do get an error popup, and the End Date text box is outlined in red, and you are unable to save. I doubt that was your experience, since you said that you did successfully save, but I thought I'd mention it, since that's the only case I can find where the event isn't saved.
lmemmott wrote:Aside for my workaround given above, is there a better way to resolve this issue?
I don't know of any particular workaround. You said this happens "many times"; what does that mean? In particular, I'm curious if you can reproduce the problem with any consistency. You said that when the problem occurs with "a specific date" you then switch to use the option for "a specific number of occurrences"; if instead you try the exact same operation (still using "a specific date") does it fail again, or does it sometimes succeed?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lmemmott

Post by lmemmott »

It seems that if I use "a specific date" for an event I'm trying to schedule, it will always fail for that event so I switch it over to "a specific number of occurrences". It seems that I've had cases where the former works but I haven't been able to determine what is different about those that work and those that don't. Perhaps a shorter repeat time frame such as ends in the next month vs ends in a year? I don't know. I'd have to experiment with the tool more.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

Could you provide us with the exact scenario that produces the problem for you? What is the start date of the event and what is the target end date? What is the repeating pattern you are using? If I can get this info I can run through our production and test code to check out how it performs.
lmemmott

Post by lmemmott »

kyleq wrote:Could you provide us with the exact scenario that produces the problem for you? What is the start date of the event and what is the target end date? What is the repeating pattern you are using? If I can get this info I can run through our production and test code to check out how it performs.
Tried again this morning and now it's working fine, at least for the cases I tried. I'll have to keep watch on it and post an update here when I find a case where I can reproduce it.

Return to “Calendar”