Churchwide events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

This is awesome feedback. Thank you very much everyone! We have some ongoing internal discussions on how exactly this is going to work in the future and I will make sure the items discussed here make it into the conversation.
chris_hazeldine

Post by chris_hazeldine »

kyleq wrote:I'd be sad to see a feature so long requested be "turned off" so quickly because it is not meeting the intended need. I'd much rather make adjustments if possible to make sure the feature meets the needs.

From what I'm reading the main need is to know what time an event will start in the user's own timezone. Is that correct?

Are there any other adjustments that need to be made to the Churchwide Events calendar functionality?

Over here in Australia, I just received the broadcast details for the General RS Broadcast and note that it shows on Sat 29th September - which is the correct date for those in the US but in Australia the event at 6pm on 29th is 8am on 30th. It would be great if the calendar item had the actual start time rather than just the day so that we could see when this event is going to happen locally on the calendar.
mbthomas

Post by mbthomas »

aebrown wrote:The time zone is important for many people. But the bigger issue in my mind is local details. For a broadcast (which many of these events are), we need to reserve a building/rooms, and we need to tell people where it is (some stakes have multiple buildings with satellites, or where they might be doing Internet-based broadcasts).

The time zone is one factor, but with many events there are multiple time options. For example, the CES YA devotionals are typically at 6:00pm with a rebroadcast at 8:00pm. The YSA ward in our area chooses to watch the 8:00pm rebroadcast. And when there are events such as WWLT, or President Monson's birthday celebration, there may be a dozen different options for times. Simply adjusting for the time zone isn't enough -- there needs to be a way for a stake to choose the broadcast time.

I don't know if it's possible, but it could be helpful to allow local editing of Church-wide events. The event would appear on the calendar because someone at CHQ created it, but it could be edited by each stake as needed. It might be a bit like an exception to a repeating event, where the series defines the original state of the event, but the exception allows different times, locations, details, etc.

I think what aebrown proposes is what would be ideal, if it's at all possible. I was one of those clamoring for a Churchwide Events calendar so I don't want to see it disappear, but hopefully it's functionality can be modified such that local leaders can alter that particular calendar item with specific local details as is being suggested here. Thanks for paying attention to these discussions!

Return to “Calendar”