"Kitchen" and "Library" shouldn't be used as location room names

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rayfroess

"Kitchen" and "Library" shouldn't be used as location room names

Post by rayfroess »

In the Calendar, there is a list of default room names that can be enable for reservations. Our facilities manager said that in this list the Church does not authorizethe name "Kitchen." It is now the "Serving Area." Kitchen implies thatcooking is allowed and that is not the case.

"Library" has been renamedto "Material Center" in all official documents.

So the default list should be edited to change both these names. We could uncheck them and add the new names as additional rooms but that will cause any reseverations for them to be deleted.

kyleq

Post by kyleq »

Thanks for the tip Ray. I'll get this confirmed and logged as an item for a future release.
rayfroess

Post by rayfroess »

I'd assume that you'll get confirmation that we should use the new names and that the future release won't take too long.

Will the old name automatically change to the new names with the release? If so, I'd think I should leave "Kitchen" and "Library" checked in the default list. If not, then I should uncheck them and create "Serving Area" and "Material Center" rooms in additional rooms.

Which do you recommend I do, continue using old names or create new ones?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RayFroess wrote:I'd assume that you'll get confirmation that we should use the new names and that the future release won't take too long.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "too long." Version 2.1 is in beta right now, but there are many issues being reported. It's not clear to me how many will be fixed as part of this release.
RayFroess wrote:Will the old name automatically change to the new names with the release? If so, I'd think I should leave "Kitchen" and "Library" checked in the default list.

Yes, the old name will change automatically. There have been other changes to room names in the past, and for the standard rooms, those changes happened automatically.
RayFroess wrote:If not, then I should uncheck them and create "Serving Area" and "Material Center" rooms in additional rooms.

I wouldn't recommend that. It's always better to use standard rooms where possible -- that way you will benefit from future changes in terminology. If you start using custom rooms, you won't get that benefit.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rayfroess

Post by rayfroess »

I just checked and my standard rooms of Kitchen and Library have been automatically updated to Serving Area and Material Center.

Return to “Calendar”