Suggestion: creator's contact info links to email

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
michaelfish

Suggestion: creator's contact info links to email

Post by michaelfish »

I have a suggestion for a modification to the calendar.

When viewing details about an event (for instance when researching a conflicting event), it would be nice if the name of the contact (bottom right corner) could could a hyperlink to the person so I could find his cell number, home number, spouse's name, what ward they're in, etc. Or to click on their email address and have the email client start an email.

This feature is already in the "Callings" directory where we can click on an email address and interface with our email client, or find on more contact information by clicking on their name.

Thanks for all the work you have already done. My scheduling job is SO much easier thanks to you!
ShariCarnahan

Post by ShariCarnahan »

I like this idea, however the contact information is currently the last person who modified the event. Unless we have a change log this won't solve all problems in contacting the correct person to chase down the right person.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

While the hyperlink is a good idea, sharicarnahan points out a problem. The "name of the contact (bottom right corner)" is actually the name of the original event creator, but can be anyone who last modified the event, but that is not the whole problem. The problem is that the name listed might not be contact individual for questions about the event. And it may never have been the best "contact" for questions about it. It may have been submitted by a clerk or calendar admin on behalf of an individual or organization, or the original submitter may have moved or been released from his / her calling, yet their name is shown as the "contact." With this in mind, even a changelog, (which I support wholeheartedly,) would not point to the best person to answer your question about an event.

I wish that the event submitter, when adding the event, could enter another field titled "contact individual, (or organization)." A person's name could be entered from a dropdown by name or calling, as is done in other areas of the calendar. Since many events are calendared a year or more into the future, and calling changes are frequent, how neat it would be to have the option of putting down the correct contact "by calling," such as the Young Men's president or an adviser's calling for a YM activity, and have the hyperlink directed to whomever is currently fulfilling that calling. That would save us steps....
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kisaac wrote:I wish that the event submitter, when adding the event, could enter another field titled "contact individual, (or organization)."

An event contact field would be wonderful. For now, we try to remember to enter that information in the Description block.
ShariCarnahan

Post by ShariCarnahan »

In our stake we have given guidelines for the description field. We have asked that the event information be spelled out (no abbreviations) and the contact information email and/or phone number of the person requesting the event.

We have very good compliance on this in my experience (building scheduler and ward website admin).
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

I've noted this suggestion (a field or some other way to document the event organizer and their contact info) and will bring it up with the team and solution manager for discussion. Thanks for the feedback and discussion here. It really helps to see if a feature really is needed or simply a one off request.
margiestroble

Post by margiestroble »

kyleq wrote:I've noted this suggestion (a field or some other way to document the event organizer and their contact info) and will bring it up with the team and solution manager for discussion. Thanks for the feedback and discussion here. It really helps to see if a feature really is needed or simply a one off request.

I too would love to see this feature! I am the Stake Website Admin, my Ward Website Admin and the Stake Center Building Scheduler. I get a lot of calls asking about activities that I know nothing about and have to direct them to a specific ward or auxiliary to ask their questions.

I love this idea! Thank you for considering coming up with a solution for it.

Margie
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

kyleq wrote:I've noted this suggestion (a field or some other way to document the event organizer and their contact info) and will bring it up with the team and solution manager for discussion. Thanks for the feedback and discussion here. It really helps to see if a feature really is needed or simply a one off request.
Did you note TWO suggestions?
It really would help if all members could see: A Contact individual: The individudal to contact, to ask questions or RSVP
It would really help if admins/schedulers could see: A Scheduling individual: Who originally added the event, (in case of problems) AND who last changed it or all the changes to it. (changelog)
jhowell2000

Post by jhowell2000 »

I would second kisaac's suggestions. I liked sharicarnahan's comments about what that stake asks for when creating an event. I will try to pass that along to my stake.
https://tech.lds.org/forum/member.php?13891-sharicarnahan

Return to “Calendar”