Unable to modify/delete repeating events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kyleq

Post by kyleq »

What you have described is a reservation that was entered by the building scheduler for the Watford location. It is not an event but more of a place holder to ensure that only members of your ward can schedule that location during that time. There are a few different help sections you could review at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Calendar that may give you more insight to how the reservation system works.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kyleq wrote:What you have described is a reservation that was entered by the building scheduler for the Watford location. It is not an event but more of a place holder to ensure that only members of your ward can schedule that location during that time. There are a few different help sections you could review at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Calendar that may give you more insight to how the reservation system works.

Since it's a reservation he shouldn't be able to delete it but I'd say there is still a bug. Either the Delete This Event Only menu item shouldn't be visible for reservations for non-building schedulers or the error message should specifically say that the user must be a building scheduler to delete the reservation. I've verified that I get the same behavior (as a Ward Clerk) if I right click on a reservation and use that menu item.
natedavis

Post by natedavis »

I was un-aware that you could right click on those and choose delete this event only. That was awesome. I am the STS, and gave myself rights as a Building schedular for a time, and then deleted each one. Took a while, but I was able to remove my bogus reservations from a botched import. Strange bug, but I was able to clear it out knowing I could right click. Thanks for the help.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

kyleq wrote:What you have described is a reservation that was entered by the building scheduler for the Watford location. It is not an event but more of a place holder to ensure that only members of your ward can schedule that location during that time. There are a few different help sections you could review at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Calendar that may give you more insight to how the reservation system works.
Your scenario about the building scheduler doing a reservation sounds good. One small problem, we have never had a building scheduler!

This repeating event was created in the early days of the calendar, when we were all experimenting. I've since spoken to the individual who created the entry and he recalls creating a calendar putting some entries on it and then deleting the whole calendar. Is this possibly where the event came from and didn't get deleted with the calendar when it was removed?

I had already checked the wiki, for possible solutions, before posting in this thread. Perhaps I should follow NateDavis course of action and temporarily make myself a building scheduler!

I think at the end of the day as eblood66 mentions the menu selection is a bug. My conclusion is that this event didn't get removed with the deletion of the original calendar.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Just to update my post above. I made myself a building scheduler and can now delete individual entries for the problem entry. I cannot delete the entire time line of this entry, which is my intention.
grwils

Re: Unable to modify/delete repeating events

Post by grwils »

Our stake has a repeating event on our calendar that we cannot modify or delete. When we try to delete the event we get the error: "Sorry, the data service has failed." We cannot modify the event details either. I am still able to add, remove and modify other events without a problem so to me it appears we have an issue with just this one specific event. I have had no luck contacting local technical support or by providing feedback via the lds.org feedback form. I have read multiple posts on here that others are also having this issue and that for one such user a developer had to contact them to help fix their issue. We would appreciate any help that could be offered.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

grwils wrote:Our stake has a repeating event on our calendar that we cannot modify or delete.
Just as a thought, is there a conflicting restriction? There have been some recent changes in that area. I wouldn't think it would prevent you from deleting a event, but it's possible.

Failing that, please go to https://www.lds.org/header, and PM me the results along with which event is causing the problem. The results from "header" should be multiple lines of text. If it's a single line, you may need to try a different browser, or complete exit all sessions and try again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

grwils wrote:Our stake has a repeating event on our calendar that we cannot modify or delete. When we try to delete the event we get the error: "Sorry, the data service has failed." We cannot modify the event details either. I am still able to add, remove and modify other events without a problem so to me it appears we have an issue with just this one specific event..
One technique that has worked in some situations is to delete each instance of the event. This is done by going into Month view, and for each instance, right click on the event and choose Delete This Event Only. Obviously if there are a large number of instances of the event, this could be quite tedious, but it might be a workaround for you.

Return to “Calendar”